2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

Just now, IU Scott said:

More injuries today than ever because pitchers aren't condition to pitch a lot of innings

I know that's your opinion on it, but that's never been backed up by any fact based study I've seen.

In the "old days" a lot of guys simply pitched with the pain... Dizzy Dean, Schoolboy Rowe, Jim Bouton, Sandy Koufax, Dick Radatz...

Due to the money (not to mention the technology) today, it's foolish to try to "pitch through the pain." 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know that's your opinion on it, but that's never been backed up by any fact based study I've seen.

In the "old days" a lot of guys simply pitched with the pain... Dizzy Dean, Schoolboy Rowe, Jim Bouton, Sandy Koufax, Dick Radatz...

Due to the money (not to mention the technology) today, it's foolish to try to "pitch through the pain." 

Pitchers still pitched for many years even pitching 300 innings a year back then if they pitched with pain or not.  I am just saying some of today's athletes need to learn to suck it up a little and not sit out two weeks with a hang nail.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pitchers still pitched for many years even pitching 300 innings a year back then if they pitched with pain or not.  I am just saying some of today's athletes need to learn to suck it up a little and not sit out two weeks with a hang nail.

But what I've saying is you can't equivocate the two.

Number one, we don't know how many guys back in the day would go on IR if the money and medical technology are what they are today.

I'd also venture to say that there are indeed pitchers that could throw 300 innings in a year still around. But with the money involved (both with the player and the team) why take the risk? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But what I've saying is you can't equivocate the two.

Number one, we don't know how many guys back in the day would go on IR if the money and medical technology are what they are today.

I'd also venture to say that there are indeed pitchers that could throw 300 innings in a year still around. But with the money involved (both with the player and the team) why take the risk? 

And that kind of thinking is the reason why it is harder to enjoy sports.  I get tired of hearing about having to babying players to prevent injuries which leads to a lot of missed games.  It brought in the theory of load management which is a crock.

In baseball I have seeing pitching staffs have 13-14 pitchers on your active roster

I hate seeing games where there is a shut out and have to use 5 pitchers to do it.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And that kind of thinking is the reason why it is harder to enjoy sports.  I get tired of hearing about having to babying players to prevent injuries which leads to a lot of missed games.  It brought in the theory bof load management which is a crock.

In baseball I have seeing pitching dyafgs have 13-14 pitchers on your active roster

I hate seeing games where a text shuts out a team and have to use 5 pitchers to fo it.

'dyafgs' is an all-timer.  I have no idea what that word is supposed to be.

'where a text shuts out a team' is another good one. Even though they are all real words, they just don't go together.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

While watching the Reds game, Chris Welsh commented about pitching injuries. He thinks the last couple of years he never remembered another time when pitchers had more arm injuries.

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lodolo with another strong outing for the Reds.  8 innings, 2 runs, 11 strikeouts.  He's going to be a good one for Cincy until the front office trades him.  

Bobby Nightengale
@nightengalejr

Nick Lodolo's outing ends after a career-high eight innings.

His last five starts:
Aug. 17: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K.
Aug. 23: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 5 K.
Aug. 28: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
Sept. 4: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.
Tonight: 8 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 11 K.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-lodolo-strikes-out-11-in-win-over-brewers

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds beat the Brewers 8-2 and Lodollo had a great outing 8IP, 2 runs, 5 hits, 11 K's, o walks.  One thing the Reds have for the future is 4 really good rookie pitchers, 3 starters and your closer.

Lodolo has been an awesome find....and I keep rolling him out every 5th day on Fanduel. Easy loot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

My take on the 6 players featured in the story.

1) Barrero:  Don't ever see him making it.  His swing is too broken to fix.

2) Aquino:  He's making much better contact the last few weeks.  If they can get a .240 average out of him, his power and defense make him an extremely valuable player.

3) Friedl:  I'm okay with him on the roster as a 4th outfielder.  His bat seems to be much improved.

4) Fraley:  A solid LH bat.  But, if he's not producing enough to start, I like Friedl better as the 4th outfielder.

5&6) Dunn & Cessa: One of them needs to make the rotation next season as the 5th guy.  The other should be long relief and available if/when an injury occurs.  I favor Cessa.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

My take on the 6 players featured in the story.

1) Barrero:  Don't ever see him making it.  His swing is too broken to fix.

2) Aquino:  He's making much better contact the last few weeks.  If they can get a .240 average out of him, his power and defense make him an extremely valuable player.

3) Friedl:  I'm okay with him on the roster as a 4th outfielder.  His bat seems to be much improved.

4) Fraley:  A solid LH bat.  But, if he's not producing enough to start, I like Friedl better as the 4th outfielder.

5&6) Dunn & Cessa: One of them needs to make the rotation next season as the 5th guy.  The other should be long relief and available if/when an injury occurs.  I favor Cessa.   

I am soooooo pulling for Aquino.

43 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He’s unbelievable. Can’t remember but are you a Cards fan?

Yes.  That's the one thing you and I agree on here.🤣  I'm thankful for a little help with all the Reds and Cubs fans on here, although if I wasn't a Cardinals fan, I'd probably root for the Reds and I don't hate the Cubs (that's easier with the dynasty talk dying down).

Albert is a really fun story though...it's like he just needed to come back home to get his mojo back.  I think the Cardinals use him a lot better than the Angels did. But I also think money aside, he just likes playing better in St. Louis.

I think I'd enjoy his story even if I wasn't a Cards fan.