2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

#1 - I don't think it's the player's call in this case.  He's given a sign by the coaches to go on contact. The runner was rookie Blake Dunn, who had just been called up this week.  No way on earth he did that on his own.

#2 - Being aggressive is part of the Red's identity.  For every run it may cost them, such as this one, they may miss out on 3-4 others over the course of a week if they weren't as aggressive as they are.

I agree the Reds players have made some bonehead baserunning decisions this season.  But, last night was not one of them. And, while it while be nice to cut down on the mistakes a little bit, . I don't want them to become overly conservative.  They don't hit well enough as a team to sit back and wait for the big inning.

It isn't about being aggressive but the coaching staff putting the contact play on Everytime someone is in third.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It isn't about being aggressive but the coaching staff putting the contact play on Everytime someone is in third.

And, I'll argue it was the correct play.

Stephenson is one of the players on the team about hitting the ball where it needs to be.

Marte was on deck  Yes, he got a hit, but he was in the midst of a 1-26 slump.

Hindsight in an amazing thing, but it doesn't help before you have to make a decision.  It was the correct one.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Caught Up in Cubs Disappointment - On Tap Sports Net

That about sums it up...

To paraphrase John McKay...we didn't pitch well, but we made up for it by not hitting or playing defense...

I think Counsell has lost this bunch...

Edited by IUFLA

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

All the offseason talk about Counsell being the man to take the Cubs over the top appears to have been misguided.  

Apparently...

But I'm sure he'll be back next year...and that's ok with me I guess...I'm not one to prematurely move on from coaches or managers 🙂

Just as long as they don't try any of that College of Coaches nonsense again...

Once again over managing by a MLB manager has cost their team.

After 7 Bell takes out Green who had a 3 hit shutout and only 104 put he's.  I am sorry that is not that many pitches. So far in the 8th the bullpen has given up 5 runs and are on their 3rd reliever. Going into the inning the Reds were up 2-0 but now down 5-2 with two outs in the 8th

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose 5-3 to the Tigers. You go on the road and sweep the Yankees but come home and lose the first two of this series. With this offense you can't sustain any kind of success.

I'd feel worse about letting the Tigers score 5 runs in back to back games. 

20 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That about sums it up...

To paraphrase John McKay...we didn't pitch well, but we made up for it by not hitting or playing defense...

I think Counsell has lost this bunch...

I blame Hoyer much more than Counsell for this season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd feel worse about letting the Tigers score 5 runs in back to back games. 

That's going to happen in this ballpark during the summer.  The pitching, for the most part, has been solid this season.  The Reds need to have an offense capable of scoring 5-6 runs a night considering the park they play in.  unfortunately, they don't have that.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I blame Hoyer much more than Counsell for this season.

More than enough blame to go around...Hoyer, Counsell, Ricketts...

Our starters are tied for 9th in MLB in ERA (5th in the NL...even running Hendricks out there), while the bullpen is 18th, so yeah, that part is on Hoyer...

But in the first month of the season we were way more patient at the plate than we are now, and that's on the coaching staff...And I don't see much fight in them right now...

• Like 1

Reds lose again to the Tigers 5-1. A 2 out error by Marte in the 8th with nobody on led to 2 unearned runs.

It is time for a change in the Manager position and a over haul of the front office. We all know that won't happen 

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose again to the Tigers 5-1. A 2 out error by Marte in the 8th with nobody on led to 2 unearned runs.

It is time for a change in the Manager position and a over haul of the front office. We all know that won't happen 

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were talking about the Yankees. They lost 5 out of 6 home games and now hit the road.....

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know he can’t hit but holy cow Michael Sinai deserves a Gold Glove. 

He has 1, count them, or I should say IT, 1 outfield assist this year...1...in 80 games...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

And?

And it means I've seen him throw, and if I was a 3rd base coach, I'd wave Daniel Vogelbach around on anything hit to him.

They don't give Gold Gloves out based on a couple of pretty plays...

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And it means I've seen him throw, and if I was a 3rd base coach, I'd wave Daniel Vogelbach around on anything hit to him.

They don't give Gold Gloves out based on a couple of pretty plays...

By your metrics, I’m guessing you thought Schwarber should’ve won a GG the year he had 11 assists?

He’s 4th in all of baseball in outs above average (+12).  It’s more than “a couple of pretty plays.”  Guessing you’re not an advanced metrics guy. 

Edited by Stlboiler23