2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I’m sure that I’m wrong, but the first time I saw him this season I thought to myself that he looked more trim.  Not that he was ever really overweight, but he looked like maybe he had dropped a few pounds.

Definitely. With the exception of maybe Sumo wrestling and O/D Line in NFL I don't know of any sport where you don't do it better if more in shape. 

I am starting to feel like my generation of sports fans are dinosaurs with our sports philosophies. Today listening to the radio the ESPN analytics geek just says things I can't fathom. No where my world would batting average would be meaningless but this guy said that. He said guys like Tony Gwynn would be overrated in today's baseball. No way I can ever agree that a player with a career .338 be a meaningless player. This guy said his .388 OBP is just alright because he maybe didn't walk as much.  I take Gwynn over a player who walks a lot but bats .222. When I see the average batting average is .241 that just amazes me that it is that low. I guess runs scored is very low this year and maybe it is because players aren't hitting at a high average.

To me walks are not a huge stat because in certain situations a walk is not the best outcome. If you have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out a walk by one of your better players don't always help the team. If you walk you aren't going to drive in runs and the last time I checked that is the object of the game.

Reds lose to the Pirates 1-0. Pirates hit a solo homer with two outs in the 8th. Reds lose 2 out of 3 to the Pirates while scoring a total of 3 runs. Pitchers only gave up 6 runs in the 3 games but could only win 1 game. Today's game had 1 run and only 5 hits total in the game but there were still 6 pitchers used. I couldn't believe the Pirates manager took out their starter after a lead off walk in the 8th. He had only thrown 83 pitches and only have given up 2 hits. Bell took Green out after 6.1 innings and only given up two hits

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose to the Pirates 1-0. Pirates hit a solo homer with two outs in the 8th. Reds lose 2 out of 3 to the Pirates while scoring a total of 3 runs. Pitchers only gave up 6 runs in the 3 games but could only win 1 game. Today's game had 1 run and only 5 hits total in the game but there were still 6 pitchers used. I couldn't believe the Pirates manager took out their starter after a lead off walk in the 8th. He had only thrown 83 pitches and only have given up 2 hits. Bell took Green out after 6.1 innings and only given up two hits

Just when I think the Reds are turning a corner, they turn back into a pumpkin instead.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds bullpen has given up 30 hrs.  Now a few may have come when Martínez or Suter started, but the majority are in relief situations.  That’s lousy, IMHO.

Edited by jv1972iu

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just when I think the Reds are turning a corner, they turn back into a pumpkin instead.

3-6 since their 7 game winning streak. Their offense is just awful and need to make changes in their organizational philosophy when it comes to hitting.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:37 AM, TheWatShot said:

Tigers lost 2-1 for the fifth time this season. They've also lost 3 other games where the opponent scored 1 or 2 runs. 

On 6/18/2024 at 11:55 PM, TheWatShot said:

Update: Tigers lost 2-1 for the sixth time this season. 

On 6/19/2024 at 6:38 AM, 5fouls said:

Consistency.

The shoe was on the other foot tonight as the Tigers posted a thrilling 2-1 victory over the 20-56 White Sox. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Way to go Bell, you bring in Justin Wilson with a 5.75 ERA to try to hold on to a 3-2 lead. He then gives up 3 straight singles to tie the game with no outs.

Well, his ERA isn't 5.75 any longer.

Today, the Cubs will unveil a statute of Ryne Sandberg on the 40th Anniversary of "The Sandberg Game" :) 

My oldest daughter was born on May 17th of 84...This was the first day that my wife left me alone with her while she went out shopping with her mother...

One great day :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Today, the Cubs will unveil a statute of Ryne Sandberg on the 40th Anniversary of "The Sandberg Game" :) 

My oldest daughter was born on May 17th of 84...This was the first day that my wife left me alone with her while she went out shopping with her mother...

One great day :) 

We didn't have cable yet but if memory serves it was Saturday's Game of the Week so I could watch. All done vs Bruce. Still one of my Mount Rushmore of Cub moments.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We didn't have cable yet but if memory serves it was Saturday's Game of the Week so I could watch. All done vs Bruce. Still one of my Mount Rushmore of Cub moments.

It was...there's a Bob Costas/NBC video of it, but Harry's is a little more exciting...

2nd greatest game in my fandom, only to World Series Game 7, 2016

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Okay…not trying to distract the conversation.  Here’s a question for you.  Without looking it up, who led the NL in triples in 1964?  Hint…it’s a Cub.

Billy Williams?

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Okay…not trying to distract the conversation.  Here’s a question for you.  Without looking it up, who led the NL in triples in 1964?  Hint…it’s a Cub.

I would go with Lou Brock, but I think that's the year he was traded mid-season.  So, would he still be considered a 'Cub' since he played for that other, unnamed team, when the season ended.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would go with Lou Brock, but I think that's the year he was traded mid-season.  So, would he still be considered a 'Cub' since he played for that other, unnamed team, when the season ended.

I thought Brock as well, but since he was traded mid season, I didn't think @jv1972iu would have phrased it as he did...

The only other 2 I can think could have done it were of course Banks and Santo...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Brock as well, but since he was traded mid season, I didn't think @jv1972iu would have phrased it as he did...

The only other 2 I can think could have done it were of course Banks and Santo...

Ron Santo with 13 triples.  One of his best statistical years…hit .313, 30 hrs, 114 rbis.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Ron Santo with 13 triples.  One of his best statistical years…hit .313, 30 hrs, 114 rbis.

Huh...I thought Ronnie would, in the immortal words of Tommy Lasorda, "finish third in a race with a pregnant woman." :) 

But Pat Hughes said he was pretty fast the day his toupee caught on fire in the Shea Stadium broadcast booth :D