2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take his .185 and 50+ HR's a year every day in my lineup. Castellanos too. 

I'm amazed that any pitcher really thinks they can sneak a fastball past Schwarber, especially when he's leading off.  He's up there looking for it, you bozo!  LOL.  😂😂😂

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take his .185 and 50+ HR's a year every day in my lineup. Castellanos too. 

I felt certain that banning the shift would raise his average 20-30 points.  Didn't happen though.

The reality is that his average does significantly hurt his value.  Not often a 50 home run guy has a WAR or OPS+ that is hovering around league average levels, which his are.

He needs to get the average up to be considered one of the game's best

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I felt certain that banning the shift would raise his average 20-30 points.  Didn't happen though.

The reality is that his average does significantly hurt his value.  Not often a 50 home run guy has a WAR or OPS+ that is hovering around league average levels, which his are.

Perhaps. But as a fan, there is nobody more fun to see hot a home run. 

When that dude gets one, he really gets one!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There's a disconnect between those metrics and reality...

You win baseball games by scoring runs... if you score 100 and knock in 100 (which Kyle did), despite what the WAR formula says, you're very valuable to a team... way more valuable than an average replacement player... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You win baseball games by scoring runs... if you score 100 and knock in 100 (which Kyle did), despite what the WAR formula says, you're very valuable to a team... way more valuable than an average replacement player... 

Baseball Reference lists Schwarber's closest comps through age 30 as Khris Davis and Rob Deer. 

Now, maybe Kyle can do more after 30 than those two, but neither of those guys had memorable overall careers.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hitting 47 home runs is awesome! But Schwarber came to the plate 720 times last season. What's he doing the other 93+% of the time when he's not hitting a home run?

The good news is he walks a lot, and a .343 OBP isn't shabby. The bad news he only has as many other hits combined as he has home runs. If he's not hitting those memorable home runs, he's not producing. 

Even just looking at oWAR, Schwarber's 2.8 is above replacement certainly, but there are five guys ahead of him on his own team.

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Hitting 47 home runs is awesome! But Schwarber came to the plate 720 times last season. What's he doing the other 93+% of the time when he's not hitting a home run?

The good news is he walks a lot, and a .343 OBP isn't shabby. The bad news he only has as many other hits combined as he has home runs. If he's not hitting those memorable home runs, he's not producing. 

Even just looking at oWAR, Schwarber's 2.8 is above replacement certainly, but there are five guys ahead of him on his own team.

I'll add to this that oWAR does contain a positional adjustment, and corner outfielders aren't going to fare as well since their job is to hit. wRC+ is a stat that look at run creation, and only adjusts for the league and park factors. Schwarber's 119 wRC+ is second only to Harper on the Phillies, but also means his run creation in total is just 19% above league average.

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

What's he doing the other 93+% of the time when he's not hitting a home run?

What does it matter? Runs win games... He scored more runs than anyone on the team, and he drove in more runs than everyone except Castellanos...

Is Kyle an anomaly? Sure he is... but to even think an average player could replace that kind of production is kinda silly to me... 

10 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

If he's not hitting those memorable home runs, he's not producing

If... 

Going back to the Khris Davis and Rob Deer comps.  Davis had a 3 year stretch that equals anything Scwarber has done.  Actually better from an average standpoint.  And the he fell off a cliff when he aged past 30.

Deer never had quite as high a peak of Davis or Scwharber, but he also had a steep decline after 30.

Schwarber already strikes out over 200 times a year.  Even the slightest loss of bat speed will push that number of strikeouts even higher.  At some point he has to make better contact or he will disappear as quickly as Davis and Deer did.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Going back to the Khris Davis and Rob Deer comps.  Davis had a 3 year stretch that equals anything Scwarber has done.  Actually better from an average standpoint.  And the he fell off a cliff when he aged past 30.

Deer never had quite as high a peak of Davis or Scwharber, but he also had a steep decline after 30.

Schwarber already strikes out over 200 times a year.  Even the slightest loss of bat speed will push that number of strikeouts even higher.  At some point he has to make better contact or he will disappear as quickly as Davis and Deer did.

I know he's not going to continue with his current production forever...

But I'd loved to have him on the Cubs this year... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

🤷‍♂️

All he does is smash dongs and metrics. Tied for most HR's ever...ever....by a lefty in October. He'll have it by himself with a couple of days.

It's money time and all he does is rake, set the tone, and now the Phillies are two wins away from another World Series. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yep, Kyle needs to get those K's below 150.

2 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I saw this stat and thought it was interesting.  Wish it went back another 20 years. But the average is down 18 pitches. Are hitters better?  Pitchers worse?  Shorter leash due to fatigue?  All of the above?  

image.thumb.png.80f303336ce183ad0d36786526d9983c.png

Money, money, and money...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I saw this stat and thought it was interesting.  Wish it went back another 20 years. But the average is down 18 pitches. Are hitters better?  Pitchers worse?  Shorter leash due to fatigue?  All of the above?  

image.thumb.png.80f303336ce183ad0d36786526d9983c.png

Not sure there is a single reason.  Evolution of the game in general more than anything else.

That said, it hurts the game in my opinion.  I would much rather watch the starter fir the team ahead pitch in the 7th inning of a 4-2 game than some random setup guy.  That almost never happens in today's game.