2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

More like Natty Light offerings with a champagne budget I'd say šŸ™‚...

We have the money and the fanbase to contend every year, and we should...Ā 

Yep. Messed the analogy up....Labor Day beers...point remains for sure though. They have every ability to be the Dodgers and they found a nice little place in the NL Central. Still ticks me off. Haha.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Minus the Covid year we've been around 30 games under .500 since 2019. You good with that? That's after starting the youngest ever team to win the World Series.Ā 

I have no problem with the sell off. Had to be done...but to be clear what did we actually get back in return for the sell off? Nada is the answer and while describing ourselves as a major market team we've decided to be on the cheap for 4 years now. Champagne tastes on a less than beer budget is how I describe the Ricketts.

Every fan is entitled to her or his opinion but nobody who is a lifer Cubs fan could be happy. Not saying we shouldn't be happy about this year....but why did it take 4 to get here? That's my only frustration. Some teams try and compete to win each year.Ā 

Ā 

I am a lifer, and I AM happy with where we are, and the process.

When we won the world series we had one of, if not the worst farm system in baseball.

All the young talent was playing, and needingĀ  paid. Or traded to strengthen the team for the run.

So at that point we had zero way to pay everybody. Most were clearly on the down swing. And we had just awful talent in the farm system.

Right now we are about 11th or 12th in payroll. We have a very promising farm system. And we are a playoff contender.

So considering we had to gut everything. I will take year 4 being a playoff team with plenty of salary room and a strong amount of talent in the pipeline.

Beats the heck out of the failedĀ  method of spend spend spend because it's a major market.

I agree we can all have different views. But we really reset from zero and are now in a strong position.Ā 

I 100% support the approach taken. I do think where ownership takes it from here will be the ultimate deteriming factor.Ā 

28 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Right now we are about 11th or 12th in payroll.

12th, and we shouldĀ neverĀ be that low...

The Orioles and the Rays have low payrolls because they have to... The Cubs don't...getting in the top 5 with a good free agent pitcher wouldn't have affected the farm system at all...Ā 

One more horse starter, like Theo bringing in Jake Arrietta, and this team would be a World Series contender, but Hoyer has never invested in pitching....

I think a lot of Cub fans look at it like, "well, the Ricketts are better than the Wrigleys or the Trib" but that bar is so low Billy Barty could have limboed under it...Ā 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Orioles and the Rays have low payrolls because they have to... The Cubs don't...getting in the top 5 with a good free agent pitcher wouldn't have affected the farm system at all...Ā 

One more horse starter, like Theo bringing in Jake Arrietta, and this team would be a World Series contender, but Hoyer has never invested in pitching....

I think a lot of Cub fans look at it like, "well, the Ricketts are better than the Wrigleys or the Trib" but that bar is so low Billy Barty could have limboed under it...Ā 

I think you guys assuming I am ok with losing. Or comparing things to previous ownership.

Neither is trueĀ 

All I am saying is I do like the approach the past 3 or 4 years. I do see the franchise as much healthier. We are a playoff contender with plenty of room to grow in the future.

Theo went all in. We won, and as a Cubs fan it was worth itĀ 

The past few years we have built from within. That's how you win. Then and only then (when that talent starts being realized) do you spend the money for the big additions.

Ā 

Ā 

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think you guys assuming I am ok with losing. Or comparing things to previous ownership

We'd never think that of you šŸ˜‰

20 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Theo went all in.

Yep, and now either Hoyer won't or the Ricketts won't let him...Ā 

Ā 

21 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The past few years we have built from within. That's how you win.

That's how some teams with limited payroll win... But we should never be in that boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think you guys assuming I am ok with losing. Or comparing things to previous ownership.

Neither is trueĀ 

All I am saying is I do like the approach the past 3 or 4 years. I do see the franchise as much healthier. We are a playoff contender with plenty of room to grow in the future.

Theo went all in. We won, and as a Cubs fan it was worth itĀ 

The past few years we have built from within. That's how you win. Then and only then (when that talent starts being realized) do you spend the money for the big additions.

Ā 

Ā 

So for analogy sake you'd be ok with the Painter or Keady or Weber or whomever approach....be good every 4 years when your one class works? Sorry. Not my cup of tea for a team that has $.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Having the highest payrolls don't guarantee winning just ask the Yankees, Mets and Padres. Most top teams win because they are great at scouting and developing playersĀ 

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So for analogy sake you'd be ok with the Painter or Keady or Weber or whomever approach....be good every 4 years when your one class works? Sorry. Not my cup of tea for a team that has $.

The thing is in that analogy is that Purdue has been really good most years which I would like.Ā  Just because they falter in the tournament shouldn't take away the regular season. I think what happens in the tournament takes away what a team accomplish during the season. Eventually nI want IUĀ  being a regular championship caliber team. Right now I want us competing every year for the conference championship.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Having the highest payrolls don't guarantee winning just ask the Yankees, Mets and Padres. Most top teams win because they are great at scouting and developing playersĀ 

Ok @IU Scott, name the last time a team outside of the top 10 in payroll that won the World Series...Ā 

Name the last time the Dodgers, who are perennially in the top 5 in payroll, missed the playoffs...Look at the Astros... Braves...Ā 

And you bring up the Yankees? Really? Yeah, they've only made the playoffs 11 times in the last 15 years...yet you want to cherry pick this year...Ā 

The Padres and the Mets are just idiots when it comes to constructing a baseball team... But they're exceptions and not the rule...Ā 

And while there is some credence to developing your own, when it's, as our coach says, "nut cuttin' time" those clubs aren't afraid to go out and spend money to enhance their chances for a championship...

The Cubs are the 4th most valuable franchise in MLB behind the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox... They should never be trying to use the Rays or the As method of contending... But the Ricketts have relied on the faithfulness of Cub fans to keep showing up at games while they built their lucrative Wrigleyville and let the team on the field struggle...Ā 

Ā 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No problem. Everyone has their opinions and I welcome them all.....just given the resources we have I don't think winning every year in a weak division is much to ask.

Yes, but how long has it been since Hoyer took over for Theo?

3 or 4 years?

I love Theo,we won the freaking series. As a kid that grew up 3 blocks from Wrigley field, I never thought I would see that. So nothing but appreciation.

However. When he stepped away we had the worst farm system in baseball. We gutted everyrhing for that title. And ownership DID pay $$ for the title.

So when Hoyer took over, we had a core that was no longer championship material, all needing to be paid. And no talent behind them.

So from THAT perspective, I see exactly why it took 4 years to rebuild a system from within.

We can say spend like the Yankees, Dodgers etc.

But the majority of their talent was home grown. Once they have that, then you spend big on free agents to finish it off.

You can't spend to rebuild from zero. That's very different.

Now we have Dansby (free agent signing) and Hoerner up the middle for years. Steele has shocked everybody and is a Cy young contender etc.

We have pitchers, outfielders, and middle infielders all throught the system. And we are already contending for the playoffs with money left to spend.

So in context (critical point), I have no problem with how the last 4 years have gone.

It's this approach that keeps us from HAVING to be a flash in the pan every 4 years. Which is exactly my point.

The criticism, if there is any, is that we left the franchise bare to win that World Series. I would not trade that.

But we can't ignore how empty we really were 4 years ago. Too empty to spend your way out of.

Rebuild from within. Then spend big to supplement.

If I see ownership start looking at spending in the near future, then I am on board all the way.

Seriously repeating myself. We had NOTHING 4 years ago.

We spent our way to a championship, and sacrificed the long term. Worth it? Yes.

But to ignore just what Hoyer took over after the fact is short sighted in my opinion.

It's more than just "we have the money".

I know fans want to win. Sometimes it leads to amnesia as to what the starting point was after the Rizzo, Bryan, Baez, Contreras group had run its course.

• Thanks 1