2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying the bullpen is burnt out because of over use and Law has been bad lately because of it.

The bullpen is overworked in a large part because the starting rotation has bee decimated with trips to the injured list.

When a team is forced to use starting pitchers that are not ready for the majors, the bullpen is going to get use.  

And, it's not like it's here and there.  It's 4 out of 5 games on average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Meh I guess 4-3 against the Brewers and Reds was good, but it sucks losing those two games in bottom of ninth to Cincinnati. Glad Cubs won today at least to keep Reds from gaining ground this series.

Onto the Giants!

Yeah, I'll take the split in Cincy, but wasting good efforts from essentially Smyly (out of the bullpen after Cuas was the "starter") and Assad sucked...

We gotta get a couple of games back on this home stand... Especially with wildcard contenders coming in... 

• Like 2

This surprise Cubs run has rekindled my baseball spirit...

You Reds fans, you're only 1/2 game out of the last wildcard spot... I know your pitching is hurting and thin, but I think y'all have the best young group of everyday players around... I think you can go on a run, not only this year, but for the next 3 or 4 years...

Couple of other things... Watching the Orioles-D-Backs and I was wondering who was doing the color commentary until he said, "the 3rd time I won 20 games"... Ah, Jim Palmer... He won 20 eight times, and finished a 19 year career with a sub 3 ERA... He was pretty good 🙂

Also, I love watching Bobby Witt Jr play... Want to see the next superstar in baseball? I think it's him... 23 years old, and already a pretty good 5 tool player...

And lastly, love Labor Day baseball... First game I ever attended in person was a Labor Day night game on September 2nd, 1968 at Crosley Field... Bob Gibson vs Gary Nolan... A 10 year olds dream 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The bullpen is overworked in a large part because the starting rotation has bee decimated with trips to the injured list.

When a team is forced to use starting pitchers that are not ready for the majors, the bullpen is going to get use.  

And, it's not like it's here and there.  It's 4 out of 5 games on average.

It is really a miracle that they are still in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You Reds fans, you're only 1/2 game out of the last wildcard spot... I know your pitching is hurting and thin, but I think y'all have the best young group of everyday players around... I think you can go on a run, not only this year, but for the next 3 or 4 years...

Couple of other things... Watching the Orioles-D-Backs and I was wondering who was doing the color commentary until he said, "the 3rd time I won 20 games"... Ah, Jim Palmer... He won 20 eight times, and finished a 19 year career with a sub 3 ERA... He was pretty good 🙂

Also, I love watching Bobby Witt Jr play... Want to see the next superstar in baseball? I think it's him... 23 years old, and already a pretty good 5 tool player...

And lastly, love Labor Day baseball... First game I ever attended in person was a Labor Day night game on September 2nd, 1968 at Crosley Field... Bob Gibson vs Gary Nolan... A 10 year olds dream 🙂

Oh man!  Not everyone can say they saw Gibson in person.  Great memory for you certainly!   And "Cakes" Palmer was special too.  Faced Sandy Koufax in game 3 of 1966 WS and beat him 1-0.  Orioles swept LA.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

I can hear ol' blue eyes singing New York New York!!

The Yanks and the Baby Bombers have swept the Ass-Stroles spanking them 6-1!! The new kid, 20 year old Jasson Dominguez hit another 2 run homer, he is the youngest player in MLB since 1900, to hit a home run in 2 of his first 3 career game (per ESPN). And Judge hit his 31st homer as well. Man that AL West is going to be wild....

While the Yanks are out of the playoff hunt, they may have a say who does make it.

How sweet it is......

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

12 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Oh man!  Not everyone can say they saw Gibson in person.  Great memory for you certainly!   And "Cakes" Palmer was special too.  Faced Sandy Koufax in game 3 of 1966 WS and beat him 1-0.  Orioles swept LA.  

Had Gary Nolan's arm held out, he'd have had a shot at a HoF career... He matched Gibson pitch for pitch in that game... 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Had Gary Nolan's arm held out, he'd have had a shot at a HoF career... He matched Gibson pitch for pitch in that game... 

Yeah, he was drafted in '66 out ot high school and won 14 games for the Reds in '67.  I recall him having shoulder surgery and missing a year.  Came back with less power and had to rely more on location control.  He still won 15 games in both '75 and '76 with those incredibly talented Reds teams.  Like many fans, I was spoiled watching those teams.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As bad as things have been for the Reds, they're tied for the last wildcard spot with Miami, SF, AZ.  So, you're absolutely correct.   Crazy things can happen in the month of September.   😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, he was drafted in '66 out ot high school and won 14 games for the Reds in '67.  I recall him having shoulder surgery and missing a year.  Came back with less power and had to rely more on location control.  He still won 15 games in both '75 and '76 with those incredibly talented Reds teams.  Like many fans, I was spoiled watching those teams.

All of my friends growing up were Reds fans, so I watched/listened to them a lot...When I was about 19, we went over to watch them play in St Louis. Stayed at the Chase Park Hotel, same place the Reds stayed...Jack Billingham and Dan Dreissen were very nice guys...

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

As bad as things have been for the Reds, they're tied for the last wildcard spot with Miami, SF, AZ.  So, you're absolutely correct.   Crazy things can happen in the month of September.   😁

I hope y'all make it...Be a kick to have a Reds/Cubs wildcard game :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's in the 90's winds blowing out to left at Wrigley today so of course it's 1-0 pitching duel. Enough of these bullpen games. 

Steele has been really good today... 11 Ks...

Snappy game... 1 hour and 20 minutes and we're in the 7th inning stretch... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Steele has been really good today... 11 Ks...

Snappy game... 1 hour and 20 minutes and we're in the 7th inning stretch... 

Steele has just been incredible. After the weekend though I'll wait for the pen to close this one out....or maybe Ross just leaves him in because he's at 94 pitches. Maybe the pen needs a day or two of rest.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, Seeking6 said:

Understand...different organizations and teams and honestly fanbases. Lots of us are still ticked about the whole selloff and 3 years later here we are while Ricketts buys every single building in Wrigleyville yet doesn't spend on the team. 

I am a life lo g cubs fan and couldn't disagree more.

I don't co sidereal that a sell-off. It was time. None of those players we sold off have done anyrhing.

How bad would the organization be right now if we paid big money for Rizzo, Baez and/or Bryan?

And I stead of chasing g a few over paid free agents, we have a decent team. And a lot of young talent being developed.

There is plenty of money to be spent when the time is right to fill in pieces for a true contender.

Personally, I have little frustration with the approach so far. We are way ahead of where most fans thought we would be 3 years ago.

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am a life lo g cubs fan and couldn't disagree more.

I don't co sidereal that a sell-off. It was time. None of those players we sold off have done anyrhing.

How bad would the organization be right now if we paid big money for Rizzo, Baez and/or Bryan?

And I stead of chasing g a few over paid free agents, we have a decent team. And a lot of young talent being developed.

There is plenty of money to be spent when the time is right to fill in pieces for a true contender.

Personally, I have little frustration with the approach so far. We are way ahead of where most fans thought we would be 3 years ago.

Minus the Covid year we've been around 30 games under .500 since 2019. You good with that? That's after starting the youngest ever team to win the World Series. 

I have no problem with the sell off. Had to be done...but to be clear what did we actually get back in return for the sell off? Nada is the answer and while describing ourselves as a major market team we've decided to be on the cheap for 4 years now. Champagne tastes on a less than beer budget is how I describe the Ricketts.

Every fan is entitled to her or his opinion but nobody who is a lifer Cubs fan could be happy. Not saying we shouldn't be happy about this year....but why did it take 4 to get here? That's my only frustration. Some teams try and compete to win each year. 

• Like 2