2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If they're keeping divisions it sure does...That's who I'm competing with for a division championship...Not Colorado...

If this is the way they want it, have the balanced schedule,and just ditch the divisions, give the top 2 finishers in each league byes and finishers 3-6 the play in to play the top 2 in the NL/ALDS

It will never happen, but now since the rules are the same, do away with the Al and NL all-together.  3 divisions of 10 teams each.  You play the 20 teams in the other 2 divisions 3 times each (60 total games) and the other 9 teams in your own division 12 times each (108 total games).  A combined total of 168 games.  The 3 division winners and the top 2nd place team get first round playoff byes.  8 other teams make the playoffs based on win %.  that's 12 playoff teams, same as now.

East

• Red Sox
  • Yankees
  • Mets
  • Phillies
  • Orioles
  • Nationals
  • Braves
  • Rays
  • Marlins
  • Blue Jays

Central

• Pirates
  • Reds
  • Tigers
  • Cubs
  • White Sox
  • Cardinals
  • Royals
  • Brewers
  • Twins
  • Guardians

West

• Astros
  • Rangers
  • Rockies
  • Diamondbacks
  • Mariners
  • A's
  • Giants
  • Dodgers
  • Angels
  • Padres

Or, if you are concerned about competitive balance, and the lack of major markets in the Central, you can split less on geography and try to split it so that each division has some East Coast, Central U.S., and West Coast teams in it.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It will never happen, but now since the rules are the same, do away with the Al and NL all-together.  3 divisions of 10 teams each.  You play the 20 teams in the other 2 divisions 3 times each (60 total games) and the other 9 teams in your own division 12 times each (108 total games).  A combined total of 168 games.  The 3 division winners and the top 2nd place team get first round playoff byes.  8 other teams make the playoffs based on win %.  that's 12 playoff teams, same as now.

East

• Red Sox
  • Yankees
  • Mets
  • Phillies
  • Orioles
  • Nationals
  • Braves
  • Rays
  • Marlins
  • Blue Jays

Central

• Pirates
  • Reds
  • Tigers
  • Cubs
  • White Sox
  • Cardinals
  • Royals
  • Brewers
  • Twins
  • Guardians

West

• Astros
  • Rangers
  • Rockies
  • Diamondbacks
  • Mariners
  • A's
  • Giants
  • Dodgers
  • Angels
  • Padres

Or, if you are concerned about competitive balance, and the lack of major markets in the Central, you can split less on geography and try to split it so that each division has some East Coast, Central U.S., and West Coast teams in it.  

I like the idea, but even with just 6 more games do you start start earlier, (March?) or play later (mid November?)

The divisions are there to foster regional rivalries and so each area of the country can at least have 2 representatives in the playoffs...But if you're not going to give my team an opportunity to actually show we're the best team in the division by only having 13 games against each division competitor, then just shoot for the overall 6 best teams in each league in the playoffs, and regions be damned...

Edited by IUFLA

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mongo's health is declining pretty quickly again but this is one of his best.

Yeah, I saw that...very sad...

Mongo and I were born on the same day, and my dad died of ALS in 1988...A terrible disease...

He was always the real "tough guy" on the 85 Bears...My prayers are with him...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

East

• Red Sox
  • Yankees
  • Mets
  • Phillies
  • Orioles
  • Nationals
  • Braves
  • Rays
  • Marlins
  • Blue Jays

Central

• Pirates
  • Reds
  • Tigers
  • Cubs
  • White Sox
  • Cardinals
  • Royals
  • Brewers
  • Twins
  • Guardians

West

• Astros
  • Rangers
  • Rockies
  • Diamondbacks
  • Mariners
  • A's
  • Giants
  • Dodgers
  • Angels
  • Padres

I doubt they will increase the season to 168 games

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt they will increase the season to 168 games

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hence, why I led off the post by saying 'It will never happen'.

It could be done... But, it probably wouldn't be considered...

Although, there was a year in MLB history where one league played 154 game schedule, and the other played a 162 game schedule... Modern era too

Watching the Reds ore game show and the Marlins starter is a rookie who is 5+2 with a 2.36 ERA. I guess they decided to rest him starting at the all star break until tonight. The Marlins at the break was in contention but has gone 5-16 since then. Their starters have only won 1 game since the break. I am sorry but if I was a Marlins fan I would be furious with this decision.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

East

• Red Sox
  • Yankees
  • Mets
  • Phillies
  • Orioles
  • Nationals
  • Braves
  • Rays
  • Marlins
  • Blue Jays

Central

• Pirates
  • Reds
  • Tigers
  • Cubs
  • White Sox
  • Cardinals
  • Royals
  • Brewers
  • Twins
  • Guardians

West

• Astros
  • Rangers
  • Rockies
  • Diamondbacks
  • Mariners
  • A's
  • Giants
  • Dodgers
  • Angels
  • Padres

I think MLB should expand to 32 teams aand make four 8 team leagues. Play each team in league for 12 times and each team in other 3 league 3 times. 

12x7=84

3x24=72

That is a 156 game schedule. 

I'd try to keep the AL/NL designation for awards and All star games but not separate them for playoffs. The 4 league winners get first round byes (same as now with top 2 division winner). The other 8 teams would be Wildcards and I might weigh the interleague games more heavily in determining the wild card Standings.       

hopefully,  Austin would be one of the cities getting a team.  A stadium just to the south of Austin would not be all that far from San antonio.   Always talk of the Rays making a move.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I think MLB should expand to 32 teams aand make four 8 team leagues. Play each team in league for 12 times and each team in other 3 league 3 times. 

12x7=84

3x24=72

I'd try to keep the AL/NL designation for awards and All star games but not separate them for playoffs. The 4 league winners get first round byes (same as now with top 2 division winner). The other 8 teams would be Wildcards and I might weigh the interleague games more heavily in determining the wild card Standings.       

hopefully,  Austin would be one of the cities getting a team.  A stadium just to the south of Austin would not be all that far from San antonio.   Always talk of the Rays making a move.

I'm good with that kind of approach.  I've always been a fan of larger divisions.  And 8 is a good number.  I do think there is a lot of benefit in  geographically aligned setup.  And, any expansion should take that into account.  

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

12x7=84

3x24=72

I like it.  It will never come about though....the owners will be too busy fighting over which cities get new franchises.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

I like it.  It will never come about though....the owners will be too busy fighting over which cities get new franchises.

Well maybe the success of the pitch clock will make them more open to change.  I like getting all the Western teams in a division/league.  Seems Central and East time zone teams don't like so many late games. Portland has often been mentioned as a place to expand so if they got team then Colorado could move in with Texas, KC. minny ... without much issue.

As a Reds fan, my concern would be they get sent East and lose games with Cards but they played in NL West for long time.  Still in those days they still played Cards 12 times.