2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

The Reds are built for success beyond this season.  Obviously, there is no guarantee, but the Reds may be capable of a 4-5 year Brave or Astro type stretch until this core gets too expensive.

With that said, does a team like the Cubs approach the deadline that they need to get it done this season and go in as a buyer?  Or, do they begin trading off their best resources and stock their farm system similar to how the Reds did it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds are built for success beyond this season.  Obviously, there is no guarantee, but the Reds may be capable of a 4-5 year Brave or Astro type stretch until this core gets too expensive.

With that said, does a team like the Cubs approach the deadline that they need to get it done this season and go in as a buyer?  Or, do they begin trading off their best resources and stock their farm system similar to how the Reds did it?

Brought it up the other day. 2003 the Cubs were in similar position but they went out as buyers and got Ramirez/Lofton to finalize the lineup. At the time they were 12 games out of WC and still made the move. I really hope they decide to add instead of just sell...because based on the last few years of moves/transactions we don't seem to have a good eye for talent. 

54 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/archives/2018/10/05/front-row-amy-brewers-miller-park/1533170002/

Couldn't concentrate on the Reds game last night once I noticed front row Amy.  

It's like that lady at 16 at Augusta National. She's just been there for years.

In terms of Reds....either the Brewers are the Reds Kryptonite or the Reds just love 1 run games. I think I heard this stat correctly. Reds have 21 or 22 1 run wins this year? No clue what all time record is but more than a third of your wins are by 1 run is living on the edge.

Hope you guys add another one today.

Seems the problem has been the Brewers pitching.  They scored vs the other teams. sometimes you gotta give the other team credit. 

I don't get the Brewer hex but it seems to happen to teams a lot.  Rangers struggle with Toronto.  I remember before the dome in toronto the Ranger announcers called the stadium the blueJays played in the VooDoo Palace.  Reds don't seem to get many calls vs the Brewers.  

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Everyone keeps saying the Reds need SP but the offense has been the problem since the AS break. Our offense today has been horrible and has struck out 15 times through 7 innings. Game was 0-0 until the Brewers just hit a 2 run homer in the 7th.

Bell should have gone to the pen after 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Even though it likely would still be 0-0 if he had?

I would have been furious if they took Lively out after 6. If our bullpen was more reliable maybe but they aren't. Also they have been over used and lately haven't been great. I can understand if you have the end of a bullpen that the Brewers have but we don't. Cruz just gave up a run after another walk to pretty much put this game out of teach.  You said yourself last night the bullpen is walking to many guys

Edited by IU Scott

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Seems pretty obvious that the Reds offense doesn't match up well against the Brewers.  Good pitching beats good hitting and the Reds look weak right now.  The long season showing signs among this young team??

The vaunted Reds offense appears to have taken a hiatus.

With them being done with the Brewers, thank God this is some of the horrible stats against them.

Record 3-10 

Shutout 4 times 

Struck out over 14 times in 3 games and twice being 18 times. They have only done this 4 other times this year.

Outscored 50-33

Last 7 games we only scored 9 runs

• Sad 1

There is literally nothing the Reds can do to improve the offense.  Players go through slumps and teams have bad matchups.

You can argue for benching Votto, but all that does is stop the carousel of having to rest one of the 8 you want to play (Steer today, CES yesterday).

Trading for a bat does not address the biggest need, which is a quality left-handed reliever.  What position on the field can they realistically expect to upgrade.

Stay the course.  Let the young guys work through their problems on the field.  They aren't winning a World Series this year even if they got Ohtani in a trade for Curt Casali and Daniel Duarte.  

I hope the front office does not do something stupid.

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

There is literally nothing the Reds can do to improve the offense.  Players go through slumps and teams have bad matchups.

You can argue for benching Votto, but all that does is stop the carousel of having to rest one of the 8 you want to play (Steer today, CES yesterday).

Trading for a bat does not address the biggest need, which is a quality left-handed reliever.  What position on the field can they realistically expect to upgrade.

Stay the course.  Let the young guys work through their problems on the field.  They aren't winning a World Series this year even if they got Ohtani in a trade for Curt Casali and Daniel Duarte.  

I like that trade, I am sure the Angels would make that trade. For me Votto needs to only start a couple games a week and not be in the lineup every day 

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Also they need to change the lineup back to what they had earlier in the season. Take EDLC out of the leadoff spot because you can't have a leadoff hitter who strikes out this much. You need to take India out of the 5th spot. Like I said in another post you take Votto out of the lineup.

You also need to get back to being aggressive on the base paths by stealing bases and trying to take the extra base. Early on against the Brewers in a two game stretch we stole 14 bases but since then not much.

Lineup 

1)Freidl CF

2)Steer 1B

3)McClain SS

4)EDLC 3B

5)Fraley RF

6)CES DH

7)Benson LF

8)India 2B

9)Stephenson C

Edited by IU Scott