2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Herr sucked?

He didn't suck, but anyone who didn't want to pitch to a guy with 28 career home runs to face a guy who hit 20+ in 11 separate major league seasons isn't sane in my opinion...

Plus, he played during a time when a HoF 2nd baseman played in the NL 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He didn't suck, but anyone who didn't want to pitch to a guy with 28 career home runs to face a guy who hit 20+ in 11 separate major league seasons isn't sane in my opinion...

Plus, he played during a time when a HoF 2nd baseman played in the NL 🙂

Just for quick reference back to Schwarber... 

Kyle has hit 25+ in 6 seasons... if it weren't for injury and covid.. he would already have 8 seasons. 

PLUS.. his rookie year he hit 16 in the MLB and 16 in AAA... 

• Like 2

@rico it was actually a brilliant move by Whitey Herzog to put Herr in the 3 spot behind Coleman and Smith or McGee... A punch and Judy guy hitting in front of Jack Clark with that speed on base...

I lived over there at that time... Probably went to 15-20 games in 85... My SIL was dating a guy who worked for a marketing firm, and he got free tickets a lot... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@rico it was actually a brilliant move by Whitey Herzog to put Herr in the 3 spot behind Coleman and Smith or McGee... A punch and Judy guy hitting in front of Jack Clark with that speed on base...

I lived over there at that time... Probably went to 15-20 games in 85... My SIL was dating a guy who worked for a marketing firm, and he got free tickets a lot... 

I took a lot longer than I should have to figure out 'SIL' was 'Sister-in-Law' and not 'Son-in-Law'

Son would have meant the guy was  married to your daughter at the time, and I was stuck on this being a 3-party relationship that you appeared to be okay with because of the tickets.

I'm not kidding.  I bounced that around in my brain for a while before I figured out you meant 'Sister'

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

That kind of stat line sucks, though.  His OBP isn't good and he can't hit it out of the infield. 

Who couldn't,Herr he had 110 RBI and the last time I checked the object of the game is to score runs.  I don't care about some computer geeks made up analytics to tell me who is good and who isn't 

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To steal a scene from Bull Durham. 500 at bats, 25 extra hits a season is 50 points. About 25 weeks in a season...you tell me Tommy Herr didn't benefit from that concrete jungle in STL at the time? Just one extra hit a week is difference between .310 and .260...Haha.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who couldn't,Herr he had 110 RBI and the last time I checked the object of the game is to score runs.  I don't care about some computer geeks made up analytics to tell me who is good and who isn't 

Player A has the following stats.

110 RBIs

30 Home Runs and 20 Doubles

.280 Batting Average

His team scores 880 runs (he drives in 1 out of every 8 runs his team scores)

His team wins the World Series

Player B has the following stats

110 RBIs

20 Home Runs and 30 Doubles

.310 Batting Average

His team scores only 660 runs ( he drives in 1 out of every 6 runs his team scores)

His team finishes 81-81

Which player had the better season?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Herr had 584 RBIs in 6116 plate appearances for his career... Roughly 1 RBI for every 10.5 PAs  ...

Schwarber has 500 RBIs in his career so far in 3662 plate appearances... Or 1 RBI for every 7 PAs... 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Player A has the following stats.

110 RBIs

30 Home Runs and 20 Doubles

.280 Batting Average

His team scores 880 runs (he drives in 1 out of every 8 runs his team scores)

His team wins the World Series

Player B has the following stats

110 RBIs

20 Home Runs and 30 Doubles

.310 Batting Average

His team scores only 660 runs ( he drives in 1 out of every 6 runs his team scores)

His team finishes 81-81

Which player had the better season?

B for an individual season, also how many runs did each player score, what kind of baseball runner were they. They have the speed to go first to third on a single or score from first on a double.

For me sports is about entertainment and don't think all of these advance metrics brings anything to the table for me. Give me for batters. BA, HR, RBI, BB, K'S, runs scored.

For pitchers ERA, K'S, BB, IP, Hits allowed. I would use to say their record but today's baseball doesn't allow starting pitching to do their jobs.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Herr had 584 RBIs in 6116 plate appearances for his career... Roughly 1 RBI for every 10.5 PAs  ...

Schwarber has 500 RBIs in his career so far in 3662 plate appearances... Or 1 RBI for every 7 PAs... 

Again I am talking about his stat line that one year and not comparing him as a player to Schwarber.  I am just saying that Schwarber needs the change his approach to hitting and stop worrying about just hitting bombs. Also if he had a manger that would actually be smart and take him out of the leadoff spot he might do better 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again I am talking about his stat line that one year and not comparing him as a player to Schwarber.  I am just saying that Schwarber needs the change his approach to hitting and stop worrying about just hitting bombs. Also if he had a manger that would actually be smart and take him out of the leadoff spot he might do better 

And it was explained that Herr not only had 2 of the fastest guys in baseball history in front of him, he also had one of the most feared hitters of his time behind him...

That'll get you a lot of fastballs for strikes to hit...

Herr was a mediocre talent who was in a fortunate situation... Schwarber is what he is... But he averages 89 RBIs per 162 games... And, as you said, runs are the name of the game... 

Edited by IUFLA

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And it was explained that Herr not only had 2 of the fastest guys in baseball history in front of him, he also had one of the most feared hitters of his time behind him...

That'll get you a lot of fastballs for strikes to hit...

Herr was a mediocre talent who was in a fortunate situation... Schwarber is what he is... But he averages 89 RBIs per 162 games... And, as you said, runs are the name of the game... 

That is why they need to get Schwarber out of the leadoff position 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

B for an individual season, also how many runs did each player score, what kind of baseball runner were they. They have the speed to go first to third on a single or score from first on a double.

For me sports is about entertainment and don't think all of these advance metrics brings anything to the table for me. Give me for batters. BA, HR, RBI, BB, K'S, runs scored.

For pitchers ERA, K'S, BB, IP, Hits allowed. I would use to say their record but today's baseball doesn't allow starting pitching to do their jobs.

Wrong answer. 

Regardless of anything else, Player A had the better season because he was a contributor on a Championsip team.  

Player B may have had similar, or even slightly higher, individual stats, but his team did not win.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is why they need to get Schwarber out of the leadoff position 

Schwarber was T9 in runs scored throughout the entire MLB last year. 

Out of leadoff hitters he was 2nd or 3rd overall. 

Edited by btownqb

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wrong answer. 

Regardless of anything else, Player A had the better season because he was a contributor on a Championsip team.  

Player B may have had similar, or even slightly higher, individual stats, but his team did not win.

You asked who had the better individual season. So you aren't going to give Ohtani the MVP because he didn't win the championship.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want a hitter like Schwarber driving in runs and let others score in front of him

I don't necessarily understand the the leadoff hitter thing with Schwarber, other than... he IS damn good at hitting lead off bombs... 

But... this is like his 3 or 4th manager, out of 4 or 5, that have had him leadoff... 

There are other factors.. and simply watching the Phillies, as often as I do, I don't know who would be a better leadoff guy than he is on their current roster.. while his strikeout #s are high.. his pitches seen per AB are high.. maybe they like how he can work counts in that spot, maybe its a lefty righty thing.  Idk, but 4 managers have hit him leadoff and he goes to the playoffs a lot... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You asked who had the better individual season. So you aren't going to give Ohtani the MVP because he didn't win the championship.

Nowhere in my post did I use the word 'individual'.

And, the intent of my post is that stats are meaningless without context. 

Herr's 110 RBIs are not 'better' just because he only had 9 home runs.  They were the product of the team he was on. 

Bat Herr 3rd in the 2022 Reds lineup and he's lucky if he gets 50 RBIs.  Meanwhile, when Schwarber hits 45 homers in a season, he's guaranteed to have 45 RBI's just driving in himself.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't necessarily understand the the leadoff hitter thing with Schwarber, other than... he IS damn good at hitting lead off bombs... 

But... this is like his 3 or 4th manager, out of 4 or 5, that have had him leadoff... 

There are other factors.. and simply watching the Phillies, as often as I do, I don't know who would be a better leadoff guy than he is on their current roster.. while his strikeout #s are high.. his pitches seen per AB are high.. maybe they like how he can work counts in that spot, maybe its a lefty righty thing.  Idk, but 4 managers have hit him leadoff and he goes to the playoffs a lot... 🤷‍♂️

To me it isn't about the first at bat but the rest of the at bats. When you have him batting after the 8-9 batters who are usually your weakest hitters then he will have less opportunities with runners on. I haven't watched them as much as you but this would be my 2-6 hitters for the Phillies.

2) Turner, might have him leadoff

3) Schwarber 

4) Realmutto 

5) Harper 

6) Brohm

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nowhere in my post did I use the word 'individual'.

And, the intent of my post is that stats are meaningless without context. 

Herr's 110 RBIs are not 'better' just because he only had 9 home runs.  They were the product of the team he was on. 

Bat Herr 3rd in the 2022 Reds lineup and he's lucky if he gets 50 RBIs.  Meanwhile, when Schwarber hits 45 homers in a season, he's guaranteed to have 45 RBI's just driving in himself.

You asked who had the  best year and I took it as individual stats