2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a hitter, Ruth also had to deal with dirty/scuffed baseballs that pitchers could use to their advantage, balls not juiced as much as they are today, 420 foot power alleys with 450 to dead center, all night train rides to the next city, etc.

It's a different game in a different era, but if you strictly look at the impact they both have against the peers they played against, Ruth wins. 

Shohei is great, but he's not as proportionately better compared to other players today than Ruth was in his time.

Could you imagine what the players of the past could do with all the advantages that today's athletes have over past players

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a hitter, Ruth also had to deal with dirty/scuffed baseballs that pitchers could use to their advantage, balls not juiced as much as they are today, 420 foot power alleys with 450 to dead center, all night train rides to the next city, etc.

It's a different game in a different era, but if you strictly look at the impact they both have against the peers they played against, Ruth wins. 

Shohei is great, but he's not as proportionately better compared to other players today than Ruth was in his time.

FWIW.. I agree. 

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just read up on him. He went from the fastball being 87-89 to now 92-94 in the last year. Also like him being a LHP

Yes. 

The catcher they just took was the Big West defensive player of the year... 

Projecting.. that's the exact type of player you'd mesh with Stephenson.. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Could you imagine what the players of the past could do with all the advantages that today's athletes have over past players

Some of them would for sure be incredibly enhanced.. some of these older dudes in a modern weight room would just be insane... but, so much more parity now, so some would falter when consistently pitted against better foes. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Some of them would for sure be incredibly enhanced.. some of these older dudes in a modern weight room would just be insane... but, so much more parity now, so some would falter when consistently pitted against better foes. 

More parity because the rosters are to diluted with to many teams

As a hitter, during Shohei's career (including this year), his best seasonal OPS is 1.05, and his best seasonal OPS+ is 182.

Ruth had 13 seasons where he bettered that OPS, and 13 where he bettered that OPS+.

An argument can be had about who is/was the better pitcher.  I don't think there is one when it comes to hitting.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

As a hitter, during Shohei's career (including this year), his best seasonal OPS is 1.05, and his best seasonal OPS+ is 182.

Ruth had 13 seasons where he bettered that OPS, and 13 where he bettered that OPS+.

An argument can be had about who is/was the better pitcher.  I don't think there is one when it comes to hitting.

They aren't really even comparable until... MAYBE 10 years from now. Even then Ruth's sheer totals are stupid. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see it that way. Back in the day the best teams were able to have more top players

Scott about half the dudes on MLB rosters in 1970 wouldn't have a job now. 

That'll run true another 50 years from now. Evolution. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scott about half the dudes on MLB rosters in 1970 wouldn't have a job now. 

That'll run true another 50 years from now. Evolution. 

Another reason it seems more parity today is how many teams make the playoffs. You use to have 2 teams make the playoffs and for my first 30+ years you had 4 teams make the playoffs. Why do you say players back in the day couldn't play today.  I never bought that argument because those players would be different because those players with the advantages would be as good as today's players. With the rosters he more diluted.  I see way more players in the majors today that don't belong in the majors.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another reason it seems more parity today is how many teams make the playoffs. You use to have 2 teams make the playoffs and for my first 30+ years you had 4 teams make the playoffs. Why do you say players back in the day couldn't play today.  I never bought that argument because those players would be different because those players with the advantages would be as good as today's players. With the rosters he more diluted.  I see way more players in the majors today that don't belong in the majors.

It is why I don't buy that argument in basketball  as well. There were plenty of players who was as athletic as players today. Just go watch the 83 final 4 game with Houston vs UL because that was a dunkinthon. Also when they say Curry is the best shooter if all time might be correct but don't buy it.  If players like Bird, Mark Price or Dale  Ellis were able to shoot 10-12 3's a game they would have been as good

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who will/should the Reds give a contract to this off season?

Realistically/obligations to some, too, right? Who has started to meet thor requirements? 

Stephenson? Benson, because he moved teams? Idk just asking

I'm not a Stephenson fan.  I'm not sure his offense negates his deficiencies behind the plate.  And, to top it off, the need to carry 3 catchers to cover for that problem is blocking CES from getting the call.  

I don't think any of the core is arbitration eligible for a while, let alone eligible for free agency.  I would save the money right now and try to find pitching in the offseason.  Votto should get another year (at a reduced cost) if he keeps performing as he has.

As far as what to do down the road, Steer may be the easiest one to sign to a team friendly contract.  Beyond that, what they do with McLain and Benson may have a lot to do with how realistic it is to keep De La Cruz.  I see a scenario where keeping Elly will cost so much that signing some of the other rookies will be tough to do.

The good news is we are a few years away from that.  

Edited by 5fouls

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not a Stephenson fan.  I'm not sure his offense negates his deficiencies behind the plate.  And, to top it off, the need to carry 3 catchers to cover for that problem is blocking CES from getting the call.  

I don't think any of the core is arbitration eligible for a while, let alone eligible for free agency.  I would save the money right now and try to find pitching in the offseason.  Votto should get another year (at a reduced cost) if he keeps performing as he has.

As far as what to do down the road, Steer may be the easiest one to sign to a team friendly contract.  Beyond that, what they do with McLain and Benson may have a lot to do with how realistic it is to keep De La Cruz.  I see a scenario where keeping Elly will cost so much that signing some of the other rookies will be tough to do.

The good news is we are a few years away from that.  

The Braves signed their young stars early to keep them away from Arbitration. They did it with Acuna and Albies after their second year and it was pretty friendly contract for the team.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Braves signed their young stars early to keep them away from Arbitration. They did it with Acuna and Albies after their second year and it was pretty friendly contract for the team.

Reds are going to have a hard time doing that with De La Cruz since Scott Boras is his agent.  

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reds are going to have a hard time doing that with De La Cruz since Scott Boras is his agent.  

But even someone like Benson.. Diaz... 

4 years 20 million now? Hedge bet? 

I'm asking. I don't overly agree on your opinion of Stephenson/I think they want him long term, anyways, so maybe our opinions there might be moot. 

Again.. this is me asking how this stuff, usually, works. Speer is a good point. I think any of Speer, McLain, Benson, Fraley, Stephenson, or Friedl... if any of those guys want to go for cheap on a 5 year contract.. why not? 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm asking. I don't overly agree on your opinion of Stephenson/I think they want him long term, anyways, so maybe our opinions there might be moot. 

Again.. this is me asking how this stuff, usually, works. Speer is a good point. I think any of Speer, McLain, Benson, Fraley, Stephenson, or Friedl... if any of those guys want to go for cheap on a 5 year contract.. why not? 

I usually see teams locking up their young stars early like De La Cruz and McClain but not usually guys like Stephenson or Benson

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Diaz, definitely.  Wasn't focused on pitching.  Benson has the tools to explode, so he may be interested in seeing if he could back this up next season and be looking at a bigger number.  Fraley may be a victim of the Reds trying to lock up the others. 

Friedl is interesting.  He's a couple of years older and, while he plays a premium defensive position, he probably  does not project out for the type of career Steer, McLain, and CES do.  I think the Reds just might be willing to let him play out the 3-4 years before he qualifies for Free Agency and go from there.  He'll be in his early 30's at that point.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Diaz, definitely.  Wasn't focused on pitching.  Benson has the tools to explode, so he may be interested in seeing if he could back this up next season and be looking at a bigger number.  Fraley may be a victim of the Reds trying to lock up the others. 

Friedl is interesting.  He's a couple of years older and, while he plays a premium defensive position, he probably  does not project out for the type of career Steer, McLain, and CES do.  I think the Reds just might be willing to let him play out the 3-4 years before he qualifies for Free Agency and go from there.  He'll be in his early 30's at that point.

For teams like the Reds the draft and development are the most important things. More than likely we can't keep everyone so the Reds need to tie up the most important players. The others you need to deal the others before hitting free agency like India and Stephenson. You just have to have you g players coming up to replace those guys you lose.