2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on...that's unfair...A lot of those guys HAD to have a second vocation in the off season because of the shitty pay for baseball players at the time...

You only had 8 teams in a league, so the talent was less diluted...Ruth faced 13 HoF pitchers in his career...

I don't think its unfair at all. If you're holding certain things against Shohei, and some of those points are reasonable.. then lets bring up all the factors, not just the ones that benefit Ruth. 

Sure HOFers from 1920. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't think its unfair at all. If you're holding certain things against Shohei, and some of those points are reasonable.. then lets bring up all the factors, not just the ones that benefit Ruth. 

Sure HOFers from 1920. 

Some of the guys currently pitching to Ohtani should probably look into blacksmithing :D 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sure HOFers from 1920. 

Jesus, Ohtani isn't even in the HoF yet.  He might be sniffing it but he ain't there yet.  Quit stroking him so much and wipe that mayo off your chin.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And throwing 95? Cmon now. 

Throwing "95" doesn't make you a pitcher...at least not in the truest sense...And there were hard throwers in Ruth's day...Walter Johnson, Smokey Joe Wood, Carl Mays...

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You really struggle in these conversations. Have a good one. 

Come on man...All in good fun...I'll cop to not being as appreciative of today's players as I possibly should  if you'll cop to not appreciating those of the early days of the game...

BTW, if you value WAR as a stat, look up The Bambino's :) 

Edited by IUFLA

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Throwing "95" doesn't make you a pitcher...at least not in the truest sense...And there were hard throwers in Ruth's day...Walter Johnson, Smokey Joe Wood, Carl Mays...

Come on man...All in good fun...I'll cop to not being as appreciative of today's players as I possibly should  if you'll cop to not appreciating those of the early days of the game...

BTW, if you value WAR as a stat, look up The Bambino's :) 

Sure. Let Rico know. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Some of the guys currently pitching to Ohtani should probably look into blacksmithing :D 

Don't forget some don't think that anything before they were born didn't really happened. They also think guys in the past had no athletic ability and people only became athletic the last 20 years. I guess Jesse Ownes and Jim Thorpe was very athletic . Just go watch some dunk contest from the 80's and tell me players wasn't bad athletic 

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Are you like Babe Ruth's brother? I've never really seen someone get butthurt over something like this. To each their own though. 👍

LMAO.  I ain't butthurt.  But I sure as in the f&$* have watched more baseball than you.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'd assume at least half the pitchers Ruth was taking swings off of wouldn't sniff Triple A now, though. That's my whole issue. 

Ruth hit bombs off carpenters, blacksmiths, and common folk. 

Shohei takes today's pitching deep. 

As a hitter, Ruth also had to deal with dirty/scuffed baseballs that pitchers could use to their advantage, balls not juiced as much as they are today, 420 foot power alleys with 450 to dead center, all night train rides to the next city, etc.

It's a different game in a different era, but if you strictly look at the impact they both have against the peers they played against, Ruth wins. 

Shohei is great, but he's not as proportionately better compared to other players today than Ruth was in his time.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a hitter, Ruth also had to deal with dirty/scuffed baseballs that pitchers could use to their advantage, balls not juiced as much as they are today, 420 foot power alleys with 450 to dead center, all night train rides to the next city, etc.

It's a different game in a different era, but if you strictly look at the impact they both have against the peers they played against, Ruth wins. 

Shohei is great, but he's not as proportionately better compared to other players today than Ruth was in his time.

This argument will be moot because De La Cruz is better than both of them LOL!