2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Babe Ruth was ever bit as accomplished a starting pitcher as Ohtani.  the difference is that the Yankees were 'forced' to stop pitching him to get him into the every day lineup since the DH did not exist at the time.  Ohtani would not be doing dual duty without the DH either.  

Also, while Ohtani may have 32 home runs at the all-star break, let's not lose sight of the fact that Matt Olson has 29 and 3 other guys have 26.  When Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920, he out-homered every other TEAM in the American League.  Ohtani is not even approaching something like that.

I've always been under the impression that since HR's were so rare at the time Ruth that chose himself to stop pitching because hitting HR's was a way to get paid and notoriety. Pitchers didn't get the star status that hitting could.

I've listened to Smoltz talk about how much goes into every single pitching start let alone every single at bat....he's of the opinion what Ohtani is doing  just is flat out shocking. Never been done before type stuff.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reds against a lefty today and Newman is DH and batting leadoff. and Votto is still playing.  If CES is here, you could conceivably have CES replace Newman and keep Votto in lineup.  

Against righties, you could have some sort of rotation that gives McLain, India, Steer, Stephenson, and CES each a day off every 5 times you face a right-handed starter.  Gives you a quality bat off the bench to face a left-hander later in the game as well.  

I would still put Freidl leading off even against lefties. I think the last time I saw he was hitting around .300 against Lefties

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose 1-0

I know the stats don't really show it but to my eye test the Reds struggle more against LHP starters.  I like Freidl leading off and rather have Fraley and Benson in the lineup over Senzel and Newman

8 games under .500 going into Memorial Day and now 9 games over. Guys get a break. Mgt can figure out what they can do to add some arms without mortgaging the talent. Fun stretch coming up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose 1-0

I know the stats don't really show it but to my eye test the Reds struggle more against LHP starters.  I like Freidl leading off and rather have Fraley and Benson in the lineup over Senzel and Newman

They don't have half the power against lefties. 

India, EDLC, Benson, Votto lose a lot of power vs LHP even when they're kept in the lineup. 

To me this off season the Reds will have some major decisions to make with how to balance their roster. They have to many infielders who should start than they positions to fill.  To me Steer and Senzel are way better defensively as an infielder. Today Steer mis played a fly ball into a double in the first inning and that gave the Brewers their only run.

To me Steer is best a first base and Senzel at 3rd base. To me it is best to have EDLC at short and McClain at 2B, Steer at 1st. I know people are sentimental but for me this would be Votto's last year and I would trade India and Senzel. To me there is better use for the 25M that Votto makes than resigning him. I would have Encarscion-Strand at 3rd or DH.

Outfield Freidl should be the CF and leadoff hitter. If Benson keeps up what he is doing now for the rest of the year he should be the every day LF. Fraley is the hard one to figure out because he hits RHP great but not LHP. Might be good to keep him and platoon at RF. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

David Ross gets ejected 5 pitches in to the bottom of the first...

I think it's about time to start looking at replacements... 

I did like his comment to the ump....people can find it online but basically had the Yankees announcers laughing too.

Ross just isn't getting it done in concert with Cubs ownership/talent evaluation,etc....just like the college game if guys come up via the system or via trades and they don't work maybe we need to change the talent evaluator. IE Jed.

I'll take the entire Rays mgt group and start over.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I did like his comment to the ump....people can find it online but basically had the Yankees announcers laughing too.

Ross just isn't getting it done in concert with Cubs ownership/talent evaluation,etc....just like the college game if guys come up via the system or via trades and they don't work maybe we need to change the talent evaluator. IE Jed.

Yeah, it was funny...

But I have to believe he was looking for an early start to the All-Star break... There's not a whole lot that can happen in 5 pitches to get that worked up about...

Appreciate what he did as a player, but his managerial skills leave a lot to be desired... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it was funny...

But I have to believe he was looking for an early start to the All-Star break... There's not a whole lot that can happen in 5 pitches to get that worked up about...

Appreciate what he did as a player, but his managerial skills leave a lot to be desired... 

Yep...and I don't even know where to go right now. I'll go back to the Tampa well again....but Jed needs to hit the road too. It's been 4 years since the start of the breakdown and trades,etc.....and right now we have 2 starting pitchers and 4 maybe 5 every day starters. Not a good use of his time.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Where are all the guys they got for Baez, Bryant, and Rizzo?