2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

Also.. Reds get 3 picks in the Top 43 tonight.... I know at the top of the draft you take position players (often).... 

If I'm taking a position player at 7 (and Clark+the other HS OF are gone)... I'd like to see C Kyle Teel be that pick. # of reasons for that. 

If not one of those OF or Teel.... I'd go 3 SPs and hope you find gold with 1. 

A 21yr old SP with serious promise (or multiple) could be a serious injection of stability the franchise needs in that dept to go along with their other horses. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ohtanin is the best player since.... ever? 

What he's doing has never been done so I don't know even know how to rank him honestly. Going to be an interesting few weeks here for Angels. 2 weeks ago they would be in playoffs.  Now they've lost 5 in a row, Trout hit DL so what do you as GM. Play it out and get nothing or be known as the GM who traded arguably the most valuable player this league has ever seen? 

If I'm the GM and I don't think we can do the number Ohtani wants I'd be saying we are open for business and rebuild the franchise. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's got a long way to go to be the "best ever."

And I fixed that list...

Babe Ruth
👉 Mark McGwire
👉 Ken Griffey Jr.
👉 Sammy Sosa
👉 Shohei Ohtani 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reds
1. Kevin Newman (R) DH
2. Matt McLain (R) SS
3. Jonathan India (R) 2B
4. Elly De La Cruz (S) 3B
5. Spencer Steer (R) LF
6. Joey Votto (L) 1B
7. Nick Senzel (R) RF
8. Tyler Stephenson (R) C
9. TJ Friedl (L) CF
P. Ben Lively (R)

Brewers

P. Wade Miley (L)

1 minute ago, rico said:

Reds
1. Kevin Newman (R) DH
2. Matt McLain (R) SS
3. Jonathan India (R) 2B
4. Elly De La Cruz (S) 3B
5. Spencer Steer (R) LF
6. Joey Votto (L) 1B
7. Nick Senzel (R) RF
8. Tyler Stephenson (R) C
9. TJ Friedl (L) CF
P. Ben Lively (R)

Brewers

P. Wade Miley (L)

About to post this. Seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Has anyone in this convo, you know, dealt with arm injuries, as a result of pitching? 😉

You're missing my point.  I'm in no way saying that having a guy throw 120 pitches a game is a good idea in today's environment.  However, what I am saying is, when I was growing up in the 1970's, pitchers did it all the time.  They started 40 games a year and threw over 300 innings a season with regularity. 

And, somehow, guys like Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Jim Palmer, Gaylord Perry, etc. were able to do that for 20 years without ever having serious arm injuries, and still carve out Hall of Fame careers.  Hell, the starter in the All-Star game used to go 3 innings.  Something is different.  I don't know what it is, but it just is.  And, there is nothing wrong with IU Scott saying he preferred that type of game.  Doesn't mean he's going to get it back, but it's perfectly okay to feel that way. 

Quite honestly, I preferred it when a starter giving me 7-8 innings a start as well.  I preferred it when pitchers hit too.  Not going to get that one back either.  

All that said, the rules changes put in this year helped save baseball in my mind.  Across the board positive changes that helped save the game from losing the core fan base.  And, getting to top it off with the Reds team we get this season, and I'm enjoying the game more than I have since the 1970's.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

What he's doing has never been done so I don't know even know how to rank him honestly. Going to be an interesting few weeks here for Angels. 2 weeks ago they would be in playoffs.  Now they've lost 5 in a row, Trout hit DL so what do you as GM. Play it out and get nothing or be known as the GM who traded arguably the most valuable player this league has ever seen? 

If I'm the GM and I don't think we can do the number Ohtani wants I'd be saying we are open for business and rebuild the franchise. 

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Babe Ruth was ever bit as accomplished a starting pitcher as Ohtani.  the difference is that the Yankees were 'forced' to stop pitching him to get him into the every day lineup since the DH did not exist at the time.  Ohtani would not be doing dual duty without the DH either.  

Also, while Ohtani may have 32 home runs at the all-star break, let's not lose sight of the fact that Matt Olson has 29 and 3 other guys have 26.  When Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920, he out-homered every other TEAM in the American League.  Ohtani is not even approaching something like that.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You're missing my point.  I'm in no way saying that having a guy throw 120 pitches a game is a good idea in today's environment.  However, what I am saying is, when I was growing up in the 1970's, pitchers did it all the time.  They started 40 games a year and threw over 300 innings a season with regularity. 

And, somehow, guys like Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Jim Palmer, Gaylord Perry, etc. were able to do that for 20 years without ever having serious arm injuries, and still carve out Hall of Fame careers.  Hell, the starter in the All-Star game used to go 3 innings.  Something is different.  I don't know what it is, but it just is.  And, there is nothing wrong with IU Scott saying he preferred that type of game.  Doesn't mean he's going to get it back, but it's perfectly okay to feel that way. 

Quite honestly, I preferred it when a starter giving me 7-8 innings a start as well.  I preferred it when pitchers hit too.  Not going to get that one back either.  

All that said, the rules changes put in this year helped save baseball in my mind.  Across the board positive changes that helped save the game from losing the core fan base.  And, getting to top it off with the Reds team we get this season, and I'm enjoying the game more than I have since the 1970's.   

Zero zero zero disagreements with any of that. 

I'm loving baseball. Reds winning is 90% of that, but yes. The college game reignited my love, and then this past 6 weeks with Reds (I'm a teacher so literally watched every game the last 4 weeks lol).. have been awesome. 

But with the pitching, and this is NOT meant to sound disrespectful.... but the REST of the world has moved on with discussions with pitching/arms/preference/health... 

We all agree we PREFER arms to throw 6+ innings a night, and it is UNDOUBTEDLY better for a team to do that... 

But there HAS to be some reality of things when decisions are made, and false pretenses, and old, incorrect thinking isn't the answer. 

They don't know what's going on with the arms, ultimately, but being stubborn about "the way it used to be" simply isn't the right way. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Babe Ruth was ever bit as accomplished a starting pitcher as Ohtani.  the difference is that the Yankees were 'forced' to stop pitching him to get him into the every day lineup since the DH did not exist at the time.  Ohtani would not be doing dual duty without the DH either.  

Also, while Ohtani may have 32 home runs at the all-star break, let's not lose sight of the fact that Matt Olson has 29 and 3 other guys have 26.  When Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920, he out-homered every other TEAM in the American League.  Ohtani is not even approaching something like that.

Othani would play CF if it weren't for the DH... Angels GM said Trout would move to a corner outfield... 

That's insane. 

I'll pick up the discussion in a decade. 

And yes, power hitters are considerably better now. 

Edited by btownqb

Vs. LHP would be the only time CES could get in the lineup (as a given).. would lose flexibility with Casali. Stephenson probably couldn't DH as often.. you'd use CES in that role... 

Votto wouldn't start vs LHP... 

But Votto vs LHP-- 3/14 1HR 1RBI 3BB 7K .215/.389 

CES vs lefties in AAA.. 

90 ABs-- .289/.363/.678 10HRs 22RBIs 30K 11BB 

I'm fine with that move for sure... is there value in CES losing some ABs vs RHP? If so, how detrimental is that? 

CES vs righties.. 

176ABs 10HR 36RBIs .335/.407/.597 

37K 19BB... that's a BIG bat to add. 

Edited by btownqb

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I have a 16 year old grandson playing travel ball and he pitched a game recently where he threw 100 pitches,

just sayin'.... I wasn't happy, but they did win the game

No issue with it.   Once/twice a summer. And as long as they've "worked up to it"

No strenous pitching for a week after though. Those are the types of things the younger coaches are becoming more educated on! 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Vs. LHP would be the only time CES could get in the lineup (as a given).. would lose flexibility with Casali. Stephenson probably couldn't DH as often.. you'd use CES in that role... 

Votto wouldn't start vs LHP... 

But Votto vs LHP-- 3/14 1HR 1RBI 3BB 7K .215/.389 

CES vs lefties in AAA.. 

90 ABs-- .289/.363/.678 10HRs 22RBIs 30K 11BB 

I'm fine with that move for sure... is there value in CES losing some ABs vs RHP? If so, how detrimental is that? 

CES vs righties.. 

176ABs 10HR 36RBIs .335/.407/.597 

37K 19BB... that's a BIG bat to add. 

Reds against a lefty today and Newman is DH and batting leadoff. and Votto is still playing.  If CES is here, you could conceivably have CES replace Newman and keep Votto in lineup.  

Against righties, you could have some sort of rotation that gives McLain, India, Steer, Stephenson, and CES each a day off every 5 times you face a right-handed starter.  Gives you a quality bat off the bench to face a left-hander later in the game as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If they are going to limit pitchers to  100 pitches then team teach them to be pitch effecient.  For most pitchers  100 pitches today gets you 5 innings and that is not good enough. Greg Maddux had a complete game where he threw 76 pitches. I see to many pitchers get ahead 0-2 and then starts nibbling and before you know it you have a 3-2 count. Maddux never understood why pitchers just wasted pitches when they get a 2 strike count.

Edited by IU Scott