2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Now that's all sorts of awesome....just watched after getting back. Such an electric talent. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

De La Cruz just stole second, next pitch stole third and then stole home when the pitcher was walking back to the mound

Last done by a Red in 1919.  Truly amazing.  😁

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't understand managers sometimes. The Tigers is no hitting the Blue Jays and the manager took out the starter with two outs in the 7th. He was at only 91 pitches 

I know you'd rather see pitchers throw until they drop, but the score was only 2-0, the Blue Jays had a mini-threat going and Manning was starting to labor. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's a threat when you have the worst offense in MLB and your pitchers are under a ton of pressure to not give up runs. Even though everyone wants to see a no-hitter, winning the game is more important. 

It is sad when 91 pitches is considered pitching them until they drop. You have to teach pitchers how to battle through adversity and not take them out the first sign of trouble 

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is sad when 91 pitches is considered pitching them until they drop. You have to teach pitchers how to battle through adversity and not take them out the first sign of trouble 

Ehh.. I think 90 pitches is more than enough. Baseball needs to adapt, maybe another roster spot is needed, although.. it seems pretty easy to move arms up and down to AAA and back. 

More arms. Or two roster spots. Everyone tries to have 6 starters.. or the idea guys just throw once every 6 days. It'll lead to more offense on some days for sure, but might help with arm health. 

The only time in a pitchers career where they "throw every 5 days" is in the pros.. makes no sense. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ehh.. I think 90 pitches is more than enough. Baseball needs to adapt, maybe another roster spot is needed, although.. it seems pretty easy to move arms up and down to AAA and back. 

More arms. Or two roster spots. Everyone tries to have 6 starters.. or the idea guys just throw once every 6 days. It'll lead to more offense on some days for sure, but might help with arm health. 

The only time in a pitchers career where they "throw every 5 days" is in the pros.. makes no sense. 

Whether it was the 'right' thing to do or not, 40+ years ago teams had 4 man rotations.  Were there arm injuries?  Sure. 

But, at no point during that time do I remember the Reds rotation missing 4 starters at one time like they were a just a couple of weeks ago (Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Lively).

While Scott's dream of pitchers going 8 innings every time out while throwing 130 pitches a game may be over, the truth is that used to be possible.  Whether it is the way pitchers condition, the pitches they throw, or trying to make the perfect pitch with every throw, pitchers are simply not capable of the workload they used to have. 

Scott is 100% correct in that regard.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whether it was the 'right' thing to do or not, 40+ years ago teams had 4 man rotations.  Were there arm injuries?  Sure. 

But, at no point during that time do I remember the Reds rotation missing 4 starters at one time like they were a just a couple of weeks ago (Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Lively).

While Scott's dream of pitchers going 8 innings every time out while throwing 130 pitches a game may be over, the truth is that used to be possible.  Whether it is the way pitchers condition, the pitches they throw, or trying to make the perfect pitch with every throw, pitchers are simply not capable of the workload they used to have. 

It being possible, or done before is irrelevant. I'm not sure what Scott is right about? Its all about the reality of things. 

130 pitches is wild to me. And stupid. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Could you imagine how a Tom Seaver or Bob Gibson would react to a manager come ng out to take him out during a no hitter

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It being possible, or done before is irrelevant. I'm not sure what Scott is right about? Its all about the reality of things. 

130 pitches is wild to me. And stupid. 

So how is coddling and babying pitchers worked out. It was supposed to help decrease injuries but it has done the opposite. Injuries are worse today than they ever have been. If you condition the pitchers early on and stretch them out then 120 pitches isn't anything. They use to have a 10 man pitching staff and it was enough pitchers. Now you have 13 and 14 pitchers and there are still a lot of pitchers on the DL

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No, you can have both in the lineup. One at 1st, the other at DH. We don't need 3 catchers on the roster so cut Cassali and bring up Encarscion-Strand 

That accomplishes nothing. 

There isn't a daily lineup spot for CES. 

I don't think the coddling of starting pitchers has had a unintended consequence towards the relievers. You want to prevent starters from injuries but now relievers having to pitch 4 innings a game is causing them more injuries and over use. Last week the Reds had 12 pitchers on the DL so this isn't preventing injuries but increasing it.