2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

That division could be a sitting duck if the Cardinals get hot in August again. They're 17-18 since starting 10-24 and have actually gained a game on first place in that span. The Brewers and Pirates wouldn't be playoff teams in the other two divisions. Maybe the Reds end up taking it? 

Wide open. Two good weeks at the right time puts you in first. 

53 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

That division could be a sitting duck if the Cardinals get hot in August again. They're 17-18 since starting 10-24 and have actually gained a game on first place in that span. The Brewers and Pirates wouldn't be playoff teams in the other two divisions. Maybe the Reds end up taking it? 

Three weeks ago there was talk of the Cardinals turning the corner.  They've gone 3-7 in their last 10.  

I'm enjoying the Reds season immensely, but if they lose the division to the Pirates, Brewers, or Cubs, I'm okay with that.  The Cards?  Nope.

Reds win 7-4 for the sweep of the Royals. They are now 1.5 games out of first and only .5 out of second.

Almost blew the game the 7-3 lead going into the 9th. Duarte gave up a run and they had to bring in Diaz who left the bases loaded. Royals out hit the Reds 15-7 and the Reds committed 4 errors

The Cards won 93 games last year and it wasn't because of their starting pitching.  St. Louis did nothing in the off season to address their real issue.  They seemed more concerned about replacing Yadi than Wainwright's age.  JMO, but if they are to jump back in the hunt they need to get a couple of starters.

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Usually I'm aware of most teams and what's going on but honestly I didn't really know how bad things were in the STL. Won't be a long funeral but seriously what is going on there? Only the Royals and A's have worse records?

When I was looking at that I also noticed Pirates leading the NL Central with a negative run differential. Besides the shortened 2020 season it's only happened a few times.

https://www.mlb.com/news/playoff-teams-with-negative-run-differential

Basically everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Mediocre staffing pitching that once again wasn’t addressed in the off-season, a lineup that has potential but is in an awful funk right now, a bad bullpen, and shoddy defense from guys that have been really good defenders (Arenado I believe is in the negative for runs saved right now). Believe they’re 7-15 in one-run games and the bullpen has blown 50% of the save chances they’ve had. Yesterday they were up 5-2 early but couldn’t pile on. They were up 5-3 with an 0-2 count and 2 outs in the top of 9th only to surrender a 2-run homer. They then proceeded to give up 3 runs in the 10th and didn’t score to lose 8-5. I think they’re missing Molina a lot more than they realized but the starting pitching has been better lately. Offense just has sucked. And the manager is way too into analytics and doesn’t have a good feel for when to pull different levers during games. 

on a side note, I think residing in one of the weaker divisions has hurt us because the front office knows that we just have to do enough to win a weak NL Central. But I think I heard a stat that the Cards are 1-9 in their last 10 playoff games. The Cardinals may be good enough to win the Central but they’re not anywhere close to being good enough to get to the WS. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

The Cards won 93 games last year and it wasn't because of their starting pitching.  St. Louis did nothing in the off season to address their real issue.  They seemed more concerned about replacing Yadi than Wainwright's age.  JMO, but if they are to jump back in the hunt they need to get a couple of starters.

1000% this. Front office has kept clamoring that they like the staff even though it’s been average at best the last few years. Def need to reinforce the rotation. I think the offense will come around. 

53 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Basically everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Mediocre staffing pitching that once again wasn’t addressed in the off-season, a lineup that has potential but is in an awful funk right now, a bad bullpen, and shoddy defense from guys that have been really good defenders (Arenado I believe is in the negative for runs saved right now). Believe they’re 7-15 in one-run games and the bullpen has blown 50% of the save chances they’ve had. Yesterday they were up 5-2 early but couldn’t pile on. They were up 5-3 with an 0-2 count and 2 outs in the top of 9th only to surrender a 2-run homer. They then proceeded to give up 3 runs in the 10th and didn’t score to lose 8-5. I think they’re missing Molina a lot more than they realized but the starting pitching has been better lately. Offense just has sucked. And the manager is way too into analytics and doesn’t have a good feel for when to pull different levers during games. 

on a side note, I think residing in one of the weaker divisions has hurt us because the front office knows that we just have to do enough to win a weak NL Central. But I think I heard a stat that the Cards are 1-9 in their last 10 playoff games. The Cardinals may be good enough to win the Central but they’re not anywhere close to being good enough to get to the WS. 

If the Pirates or Reds organizations put the exact same roster on the field and had the exact same record as the Cardinals have right now, there is no way you say 'The Pirates may be good enough to win the Central'.  So, why would you say it about St. Louis?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If the Pirates or Reds organizations put the exact same roster on the field and had the exact same record as the Cardinals have right now, there is no way you say 'The Pirates may be good enough to win the Central'.  So, why would you say it about St. Louis?

Because St. Louis gets the benefit of the doubt with only one losing season since 2000. The Reds and Pirates haven’t proven it in a long time IMO. That’s the difference. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because St. Louis gets the benefit of the doubt with only one losing season since 2000. The Reds and Pirates haven’t proven it in a long time IMO. That’s the difference. 

I am curious as to the most games under .500 a team has come back from to finish .500.  I mean we are in the middle of June here and it seems most contending teams usually have things going by June 1st.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

I am curious as to the most games under .500 a team has come back from to finish .500.  I mean we are in the middle of June here and it seems most contending teams usually have things going by June 1st.

Phillies last year was under .500 until they fired Giradi. After that they went in to go to the World Series

38 minutes ago, rico said:

My go to answer on this stuff before the Phillies last year was 87 Twins....but I know the Giants in 90's had a year where they were bad and still made playoffs. 

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My go to answer on this stuff before the Phillies last year was 87 Twins....but I know the Giants in 90's had a year where they were bad and still made playoffs. 

'87 Twins?  The most games they were under .500 was 1.

Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Cincinnati Reds – .321/.381/.624, 14 HR (translated stats for remainder of year if called up...)

The Reds have gotten a lot more interesting since last season, and a big reason is that there’s simply a lot more promise in the offense. Encarnacion-Strand’s lines look insane, enough that one ought to double-check that I actually posted his translation rather than his raw numbers. I didn’t; he’s hit .361/.431/.733 for Triple-A Louisville. You don’t see translations pop up like this every day. Last year, even setting an absurdly low 50 plate appearances as the qualifier, which just begs for a fluke result, the top translated slugging percentage was .475 by James Outman.

CES isn’t the only Reds minor leaguer hitting baseballs with malice aforethought. Matt McLain was at .302/.413/.593 before his callup (he’s hit .322/.375/.495 in his first 27 games in the majors), and Elly De La Cruz has impressed viewers after a .271/.340/.488 zMLE. Leaving Encarnacion-Strand in the minors at this point is getting ludicrous. The Reds have found themselves in real contention in the NL Central right now; how much more is he going to learn against minor leaguers with an 1.164 OPS? Fortune favors the bold, and the Reds have ample motivation to be ambitious here.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-most-fascinating-minor-league-translations-of-2023/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It shouldn't be.  You are either good in 2023 or you're not.  2011 no longer matters.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Good read:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1625285-how-many-teams-have-come-back-from-horrible-april-starts-to-make-the-playoffs