2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The Braves signed their young stars early to keep them away from Arbitration. They did it with Acuna and Albies after their second year and it was pretty friendly contract for the team.

Jumping in as a Braves fan to remark on how insane this is. Best team in baseball this year, and set to be that way for a while:

• C Sean Murphy - signed through 2029
  • 1B Matt Olson - signed through 2030
  • 2B Ozzie Albies - signed through 2027
  • SS Orlando Arcia - signed through 2026
  • 3B Austin Riley - signed through 2033
  • CF Ronald Acuna - signed through 2028
  • CF Michael Harris II - signed through 2032

Every one of those guys is an All Star this year, except Harris who was ROY last season and is still just 22. It's been great watching this team rake, AND knowing this core will be together for another 4 or 5 years at least.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Jumping in as a Braves fan to remark on how insane this is. Best team in baseball this year, and set to be that way for a while:

• C Sean Murphy - signed through 2029
  • 1B Matt Olson - signed through 2030
  • 2B Ozzie Albies - signed through 2027
  • SS Orlando Arcia - signed through 2026
  • 3B Austin Riley - signed through 2033
  • CF Ronald Acuna - signed through 2028
  • CF Michael Harris II - signed through 2032

Every one of those guys is an All Star this year, except Harris who was ROY last season and is still just 22. It's been great watching this team rake, AND knowing this core will be together for another 4 or 5 years at least.

I guess I don't understand why the Reds couldn't do something similar... 

I know the Reds don't have quite this position group, and certainly not the proven players these ATL guys are... but Steer, Diaz, Stepheson, imo, should be cornerstones.. essentially no matter the price tag. Get it done early and save money. 

Look not EVERY single athlete ONLY wants top dollars.. idk. Maybe you get a great price for one of those guys. I'm mostly bored during the All Star break haha

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I guess I don't understand why the Reds couldn't do something similar... 

I know the Reds don't have quite this position group, and certainly not the proven players these ATL guys are... but Steer, Diaz, Stepheson, imo, should be cornerstones.. essentially no matter the price tag. Get it done early and save money. 

Look not EVERY single athlete ONLY wants top dollars.. idk. Maybe you get a great price for one of those guys. I'm mostly bored during the All Star break haha

Curious as to why you are a believer in Stephenson.  

Poor defensive catcher

Average power numbers for catcher 

Well below average power numbers for DH

Strikes out a lot

Edited by 5fouls

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Curious as to why you are a believer in Stephenson.  

Poor defensive catcher

Average power numbers for catcher 

Well below average power numbers for DH

Strikes out a lot

Imo-- he's closer to avg defensively (ultimately I think the "middle" of any position in pro sports is incredibly close)

.. as a hitter.. 

Since June 6th(EDLC was called up that day)-- 97ABs 4HR 15RBIs .289/.369/.433 as your 8 hole hitter. 

But there's more to that opinion than JUST his #s.. I feel like stability at that position has some value. I feel EDLC is a superstar, McLain is damn good, Friedl same thing.. I do think Votto will bang for the next 1.5 years.. 

Contract wise help me-- Fraley will be first year of arbitration, Benson will be pre arbitration.. those will are almost guaranteed to be on the roster next year, right? 

All of that... plus CES, Steer... Marte. 

That's a lot of fire power... maybe a good route moving forward would be Stephenson for 130 games a year, plus a solid defensive catcher as a side kick? 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can you help me why you're so adamant why he's poor defensively? 

I truly don't know. I am strictly going to eye test. What #s prove that? 

Not speaking for him but I do remember a stat where the pitchers ERA is a lot higher with him catching compared to the other two catchers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

They just extended Green so hopefully they will do the same thing the next few years with all of their young players.  I can see players like India and Fraley as trade pieces for more pitching help once CES and Marte comes up.

Edited by IU Scott

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They just extended Green so hopefully they will do the same thing the next few years with all of their young players.  I can see players like India and Fraley as trade pieces for more pitching help once CES and Marye comes up.

Absolutely. 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not speaking for him but I do remember a stat where the pitchers ERA is a lot higher with him catching compared to the other two catchers 

Stephenson’s ERA: 5.13, 0 errors, and 2 pass balls 

Maile’s ERA:  4.97, 3 errors, and 2 pass balls 

Casali’s ERA: 4.38, 2 errors, and 1 pass ball 

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the ERA could be affected by what pitchers they’re catching. For example Maile has caught all of Abbott’s games for example. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They just extended Green so hopefully they will do the same thing the next few years with all of their young players.  I can see players like India and Fraley as trade pieces for more pitching help once CES and Marye comes up.

It’s possible they could look to do that however they will soon have a log jam of young pitchers vying for the rotation. Some will move to the pen but unless those guys fetch a superstar I’m not sure that’s the route they’ll go. Greene, Lodollo, Abbott, Ashcraft, Williamson, and Phillips could all be in the rotation by August. Then they’ve got several more arms between high A and AAA that aren’t that far away. They also just drafted several college arms as well. Lowder for example could potentially be ready by sometime next year. The pitching might not be the need everyone thinks in the near future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

It’s possible they could look to do that however they will soon have a log jam of young pitchers vying for the rotation. Some will move to the pen but unless those guys fetch a superstar I’m not sure that’s the route they’ll go. Greene, Lodollo, Abbott, Ashcraft, Williamson, and Phillips could all be in the rotation by August. Then they’ve got several more arms between high A and AAA that aren’t that far away. They also just drafted several college arms as well. Lowder for example could potentially be ready by sometime next year. The pitching might not be the need everyone thinks in the near future. 

I agree with this as well.  

It's been mentioned, if you could find a top level LHP out of the pen.. FA or a trade... 

Just now, btownqb said:

I agree with this as well.  

It's been mentioned, if you could find a top level LHP out of the pen.. FA or a trade... 

That’ll be the biggest need moving forward. Hopefully at the deadline but it definitely needs to be addressed this offseason. 

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I think we need an experience starter near the top of the rotation to help the young guys out.  Also I we have a logjam at position players as well that needs unjammed a little. Say in two years I would like to see a lineup like this 

DH CES

1B Steer 

2B McClain 

SS EDLC

3B Marte 

LF Benson

CF Freidl 

RF ? 

C ? 

I see guys like Senzel, India and Stephenson as expendable for a starter and maybe a RF

Edited by IU Scott

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we need an experience starter near the top of the rotation to help the young guys out.  Also I we have a logjam at position players as well that needs unjammed a little. Say in two years I would like to see a lineup like this 

DH CES

1B Steer 

2B McClain 

SS EDLC 

LF Benson

CF Freidl 

RF ? 

C ? 

I see guys like Senzel, India and Stephenson as expendable for a starter and maybe a RF

I think Elly is going to play third, same with McLain at SS. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

DH CES

1B Steer 

2B McClain 

SS EDLC 

LF Benson

CF Freidl 

RF ? 

C ? 

Scott, in his best Norman Dale voice.  "My team is on the field.  Don't need no damn third baseman."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Anyone else feel as apathetic about the All-Star game as I do?

Used to be must see viewing. I can’t remember the last time I watched even an inning 

I still love it.  I am disappointed in the way they did player introductions this year.