2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's a reason Green Bay can compete in the NFL...

Yeah.  It has everything to do with the difference between how the NFL and MLB handle the financial side of things. Without NFL revenue sharing, Green Bay would not have a team.    

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

There's a reason Green Bay can compete in the NFL...

And KC and Buffalo and Cincy and shoot.....Indy dominated for a decade too. I will say this though. I'd like to see MLB put in a salary floor. Or maybe use the old Ben and Jerry's 7 to 1 rule. Something where the highest team can't spend more than 4-5x the lowest. 

Of course if you have a front office that actually knows what their doing....all the money talk is out the window. Bottom 4 payrolls in baseball right now are Rays, Orioles, Pirates, and A's. If the playoffs started tomorrow 3 of those teams would be in.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And KC and Buffalo and Cincy and shoot.....Indy dominated for a decade too. I will say this though. I'd like to see MLB put in a salary floor. Or maybe use the old Ben and Jerry's 7 to 1 rule. Something where the highest team can't spend more than 4-5x the lowest. 

Of course if you have a front office that actually knows what their doing....all the money talk is out the window. Bottom 4 payrolls in baseball right now are Rays, Orioles, Pirates, and A's. If the playoffs started tomorrow 3 of those teams would be in.

Take Votto and Moustakas salaries and the Reds would be with those teams.

Reds are struggling with the second worst team in baseball tonight at KC. Down 3-1 going to the bottom of the 5th and having trouble hitting Grienke and his 5.45 ERA. Reds will be inconsistent as long as Weaver, Williamson and Lively are all in the starting rotation.

Reds win 5-4 in 10 innings. Reds up 4-3 in the 9th but couldn't use Diaz or Sims tonight so the brought a farmer back for his second inning. With two outs Farmer gave up a solo homer. Reds scored 1 run in the 10th and they brought in a pitcher making his major league debut. In AAA his ERA was 9.25 and had walked 34 batters in 22 games. Some how he was able the save the game after he walked the leadoff hitter.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds win 5-4 in 10 innings. Reds up 4-3 in the 9th but couldn't use Diaz or Sims tonight so the brought a farmer back for his second inning. With two outs Farmer gave up a solo homer. Reds scored 1 run in the 10th and they brought in a pitcher making his major league debut. In AAA his ERA was 9.25 and had walked 34 batters in 22 games. Some how he was able the save the game after he walked the leadoff hitter.

He has really good stuff but locating them has been a problem. I don’t mind him being the last guy in the pen until some other guys get back from the IL. That way he can work with the Reds coaches and hopefully fix some of the strike throwing issues. 

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

He has really good stuff but locating them has been a problem. I don’t mind him being the last guy in the pen until some other guys get back from the IL. That way he can work with the Reds coaches and hopefully fix some of the strike throwing issues. 

Hopefully his showing last night gives him the confidence he needs to become a really good MLB pitcher.

Saw a lineup from last year's Reds game on this date.  16 players participated in the game for the Reds.  11 position players and 5 pitchers.  Only 1 of them is on the current active roster on this date this year.  T.J. Friedl pinch hit.  Votto and Senzel also played in the game but are currently on Injured List.

• Like 1

The old saying about a blind squirrel....applied to last night's lineup brought to you by David Ross.

Our starting lineup had a total of 23 hrs on the season and 4 guys with 0. Yes we scored 11 but seriously Ross. These types of lineups are just head scratching.

PS...the guy who should be playing every single day (Morel) came into the game in the 8th and delivered a 3 run shot.

Sorry for the lengthy copy/paste.....thought you guys would enjoy learning about BLA. They started in baseball but have been moving over into other sports as well. Here's how they work.

Elly De La Cruz is one of MLB's most exciting players. But he might have to pay MILLIONS in career earnings to an investment firm — and he's not the only one. Over 500 professional athletes have signed these deals, and Fernando Tatis Jr. owes them $27 million. Here's how it works: The company is called Big League Advantage (BLA). It was founded in 2016 by former minor league baseball player Michael Schwimer, and their business model is simple: BLA provides athletes with an upfront cash payment in exchange for a percentage of their future earnings. The firm has 40 employees, and they use proprietary predictive analytics models to find inefficiencies in the market (aka when they believe someone is better than the rankings suggest). And that's when they commit to an investment. BLA raised $26 million for its first fund, which was then invested across 77 different players in 2016-17. A typical deal might look like this: • Athlete receives $350,000 in cash • BLA is guaranteed 8% of future earnings But it's not a loan — because if the player never makes it to the major leagues, they don't owe BLA any money. And with 80% of their investments never making it to the major leagues, BLA solely focuses on landing the biggest fish (kind of like a venture capital firm), For example, BLA signed a deal with Fernando Tatis Jr. in 2017. He reportedly agreed to pay back ~8% of his future earnings in exchange for "seven figures" in cash. He then spent the money on a personal trainer, better food, and a better apartment. But when he signed a $340 million deal with the San Diego Padres just four years later, BLA's ~8% cut meant that Tatis Jr owed them $27.2 million in earnings. That one deal alone will pay back the entire fund, and the other 76 players BLA invested in are gravy on top. And BLA says they have agreements in place with 7 players in last year's MLB all-star game alone. This success has helped BLA raise nearly $250 million — and they have brought on some big investors, too. Notable BLA Investors • Paul DePodesta (Cleveland Browns) • Bill Miller (Legg Mason) • Steven Duncker (Goldman Sachs) • Marvin Bush (Brother of George W. Bush) But BLA's model doesn't just apply to baseball. The firm is now expanding into other sports, like NIL deals with college football and basketball players. For example, BLA signed a deal with Georgia outside linebacker Nolan Smith last year. Smith received an upfront cash payment (via NIL) in exchange for one social media post per month, two player appearances, and two content shoots. And based on his rookie deal alone (30th overall pick), Smith will end up paying BLA between $120,000 (1%) and $1.2 million (10%). This has caused many people to speak up about BLA. MLB super agent Scott Boras says BLA intentionally targets talented players from Latin America who don't receive large signing bonuses (**BLA's response is that they have signed 100+ American players that collectively have an average signing bonus of $400,000). And MLB catcher Francisco Mejía even sued the firm in 2018, claiming they took advantage of his financial illiteracy, desperation (he wanted cash to fund medical treatment for his mom in the Dominican), and youth when he signed a deal at 20 years old that exchanged 10% of his future MLB earnings for $360,000 in cash. Now, Mejía later dropped the case and issued an apology. And BLA says these deals aren't predatory because they require independent lawyers to review each agreement, and 70-80% of the players they invest in never have to pay back any money. But that doesn't mean changes can't be made. One solution, of course, is to increase wages across the minor leagues so these deals aren't necessary, which MLB did last year by doubling wages and improving housing and transportation for players & families. But with the average minor league player still making less than $30,000 annually, MLB still has a long way to go before income-sharing agreements disappear. Still, it's important to remember that this problem doesn't just exist in baseball. People have been investing in golfers (and Formula 1 drivers) for decades, and speculative investing in athletes has its deepest roots in boxing. But that doesn’t mean a better solution doesn’t exist; we just have to find it. Ps. I broke down the entire business model behind Big League Advantage on today's podcast. Subscribe below so you don't miss any episodes in the future!

• Like 1

Usually I'm aware of most teams and what's going on but honestly I didn't really know how bad things were in the STL. Won't be a long funeral but seriously what is going on there? Only the Royals and A's have worse records?

When I was looking at that I also noticed Pirates leading the NL Central with a negative run differential. Besides the shortened 2020 season it's only happened a few times.

https://www.mlb.com/news/playoff-teams-with-negative-run-differential

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Usually I'm aware of most teams and what's going on but honestly I didn't really know how bad things were in the STL. Won't be a long funeral but seriously what is going on there? Only the Royals and A's have worse records?

When I was looking at that I also noticed Pirates leading the NL Central with a negative run differential. Besides the shortened 2020 season it's only happened a few times.

https://www.mlb.com/news/playoff-teams-with-negative-run-differential

That division could be a sitting duck if the Cardinals get hot in August again. They're 17-18 since starting 10-24 and have actually gained a game on first place in that span. The Brewers and Pirates wouldn't be playoff teams in the other two divisions. Maybe the Reds end up taking it? 

• Like 1