Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

HoosierDPU95

The ONLY criteria for those who start should be the most productive players from the last game & this week's practice.

Period. Why would you want anything else? Not putting your best foot forward is a receipe for disaster.

Now...having said that, I think you have to balance that with the most productive players on defense, and the most productive players on offense.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In this 1 Galloway on Davis is our best match-up and I think we need it from the start. Do not let him get a fast start

Solid point. Weren't we really good on him early in the game in UW? Or I am misremembering. Either way, if XJ gets in foul trouble we're f*****. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWB said:

The ONLY criteria for those who start should be the most productive players from the last game & this week's practice.

Period. Why would you want anything else? Not putting your best foot forward is a receipe for disaster.

Now...having said that, I think you have to balance that with the most productive players on defense, and the most productive players on offense.

Thankfully this is NOT how coaches determine a starting lineup or playing time, mostly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

To play devils advocate, if your 5 best players in practice are guards you start them. What if you gave 3 post players and no point guard have a great week of practice 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To play devils advocate, if your 5 best players in practice are guards you start them. What if you gave 3 post players and no point guard have a great week of practice 

My bad, I should have added a qualifying statement that you have to fill the positions as well. But...to answer your devil's advocate question, maybe you start 3 guards or even 4 if they are the ones playing the best. Or, in your example, you play 2 post players, with one as a stretch 4. There are ALWAYS options. It's whether a coach has the kahunas to try them. Most coaches don't want to deviate from their own system.

I never said you can't substitute. If a player isn't producing, you sub until you find one who can.

Edited by DWB

1 minute ago, DWB said:

My bad, I should have added a qualifying statement that you have to fill the positions as well. But...to answer your devil's advocate question, maybe you start 3 guards or even 4 if they are the ones playing the best. Or, in your example, you play 2 post players, with one as a stretch 4. There are ALWAYS options. It's whether a coach has the kahunas to try them. Most coaches don't want to deviate from their own system.

I never said you can't substitute. If a player isn't producing, you sub until you find one who can.

THEY SHOULDN'T! That is when things go bad! 

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Based on what I have seen Woodson does not seem very fond of change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

THEY SHOULDN'T! That is when things go bad! 

Not trying to pick a fight....but you think things are going good right now for us?

I don't. They're not horrible, and better than last year, IMO, but far from better than average.

41 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would start him over Kopp. Kopp gives us nothing

Kopp doesn't turn the ball over much, can shoot free throws and plays passible defense.  He also doesn't commit stupid emotional fouls.  He scores about as much or more than Galloway though.  Galloway bring motor and passion.  But that doesn't always mean its a net positive

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Kopp doesn't turn the ball over much, can shoot free throws and plays passible defense.  He also doesn't commit stupid emotional fouls.  He scores about as much or more than Galloway though.  Galloway bring motor and passion.  But that doesn't always mean its a net positive

He has had 1 double digit game since Syracuse. Does not shoot enough or enough to get to the line. From what I have seen a def3nsive liability.  

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not trying to pick a fight....but you think things are going good right now for us?

I don't. They're not horrible, and better than last year, IMO, but far from better than average.

You cannot expect your kids to respond well to never knowing their role. A confused athlete is not a good athlete. Plus, at that point you're strong arming your kids. "either you play well or you sit"... is not the way to be, imo. 

Have you had success with this sort of substitution pattern? Or witnessed it as a consistent part of a successful team? How do they know what is expected of them from game to game? 

Edited by btownqb

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He has had 1 double digit game since Syracuse. Does not shoot enough or enough to get to the line. From what I have seen a def3nsive liability.  

I don't count his as a liability.  Stellar, nope, but he holds his own enough and doesn't foul.  He also only plays about 15 minutes a game also.  Galloway has had 1 good game really and has struggled or been a no factor for the other times.  I really like him, but he isn't 30 minute guy yet at this point.  

Start him, don't start him, it really doesn't matter to me.  But CMW was pretty blunt that what Galloway did last game was not good and it didn't work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't count his as a liability.  Stellar, nope, but he holds his own enough and doesn't foul.  He also only plays about 15 minutes a game also.  Galloway has had 1 good game really and has struggled or been a no factor for the other times.  I really like him, but he isn't 30 minute guy yet at this point.  

Start him, don't start him, it really doesn't matter to me.  But CMW was pretty blunt that what Galloway did last game was not good and it didn't work.

And him starting along with XJ getting into foul trouble really left us in a tough spot. Staggering their play early in the game seems to work better. But hey, I'm not an NBA coach and it was only a one game sample size.