Places to stay. Vacations, weekend trips, anniversary ect.

mrflynn03

33 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh god yes. The dumbasses in boarding group 9 who are already standing in line to board when the pre-boarding starts. “Have you people never flown before?” Your anxiety and impatience will not make things go quicker. 

You should fly with Russians! We landed in Amsterdam and as soon as we turned off the runway they ALL got up and started unloading the overhead bins. Of course they were telling everyone they needed to sit down in English and Dutch. Finally the pilot stopped the plane. It wasn’t until one Russian that understood yelled in Russian the instructions, then we were able to get going again?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I don’t know shay we allow that BS. Every time I come back here from somewhere else I realize how much of sh#thole country we have allowed ourselves to be at the bosom on advertising and the almighty dollar. 

Reminds me of the George Carlin bit about how we took this land and turned it into a giant strip mall.

NSFW

https://youtu.be/41jCCyT5wuA

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

I hope you weren’t uncovered in the front row! 😄 Loved that dude. 

They handed out disposable ponchos. We were in the first row that didn't get one.  I did catch some debris. My wife didn't know who he was. It was fun watching her discover the sledg o matic. 🤣 I  tried to talk her in to going up there when he brought a cake out. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

They handed out disposable ponchos. We were in the first row that didn't get one.  I did catch some debris. My wife didn't know who he was. It was fun watching her discover the sledg o matic. 🤣 I  tried to talk her in to going up there when he brought a cake out. 

Dying laughing typing this, b/c there’s only a certain subsection of America that will really get this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I don’t know why we allow that BS. Every time I come back here from somewhere else I realize how much of sh#thole country we have allowed ourselves to be at the bosom on advertising and the almighty dollar. 

I-69 from at least Ft. Wayne to the Michigan state line is an ongoing advertisement for the dispensaries just over the border.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I-69 from at least Ft. Wayne to the Michigan state line is an ongoing advertisement for the dispensaries just over the border.

Adrian where I live has at least a dozen dispensaries for a city of 20k. Where do you think they make their money from? C’mon up! By the way I was just in Angola today for our 55th fraternity anniversary. Edit: Angola is MUCH changed from when I lived there! Should have given you a call out! My bad!?

Edited by Drroogh

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Adrian where I live has at least a dozen dispensaries for a city of 20k. Where do you think they make their money from? C’mon up! By the way I was just in Angola today for our 55th fraternity anniversary. Edit: Angola is MUCH changed from when I lived there! Should have given you a call out! My bad!?

Yes, Angola has progressed. Received a chunk of money from the company that privatized the Toll Road and put it to good use.

Would have been a great day to be on the lake!

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes, Angola has progressed. Received a chunk of money from the company that privatized the Toll Road and put it to good use.

Would have been a great day to be on the lake!

I have fond memories of Lime Lake, maybe once I get my new folding canoe we should arrange a fishing competition? I’m sure I’ll lose, I’ve been known as a Jonah!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I have fond memories of Lime Lake, maybe once I get my new folding canoe we should arrange a fishing competition? I’m sure I’ll lose, I’ve been known as a Jonah!

My son is the fisherman of the family. I can cast a line, and every once in a while I get lucky. I have been known to hook myself with a great deal of expertise however 

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My son is the fisherman of the family. I can cast a line, and every once in a while I get lucky. I have been known to hook myself with a great deal of expertise however 

Remember the picture of your hook!
Used to salmon fish during spawning season in the Lake Michigan streams with my friends. People were catching fish, but the moment my line hit the water, NOBODY was catching fish! Went on a charter boat out of Maui Hawaii, things were so bad the mate started telling us the story of the banana curse. I didn’t tell him it was me!😂

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, IUFLA said:

Just to give y'all an idea what the skies are like every day (took these screenshots about 2 minutes ago) nationwide, and around the New York Metro artea...

image.png.d60f6f013f256a03fae7afe96ecc1b54.png

image.png.4d8da812a1e95d5b48f2ff215dcb2a18.png

I'd be curious what happens on a day like today when all flights from Southwest are grounded. Total chaos or if their grounded does it mean less planes to monitor so easier day??

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd be curious what happens on a day like today when all flights from Southwest are grounded. Total chaos or if their grounded does it mean less planes to monitor so easier day??

Not really, just backs them up and moves the rushes to different times.

Whenever you hear a pilot cite "air traffic control delays" for having to wait until a gate clears, he really means "our schedulers screwed us." 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Just took a business trip to Half Moon Bay, CA. Absolutely stunning landscape. Definitely worth a long weekend trip. 

My daughter lives just up the road in Pacifica. Half Moon Bay runs the Maverick surfing competition which attracts surfers from around the world.The Hwy 1 drive is gorgeous 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My daughter lives just up the road in Pacifica. Half Moon Bay runs the Maverick surfing competition which attracts surfers from around the world.The Hwy 1 drive is gorgeous 

Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to get out and explore. I was tied down to the resort the entire time. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm crrently planning a bourbon trip for August. We've got a day set aside to visit Buffalo Trace and Woodford. Any suggestions on great spots to grab lunch in Frankfort?

We're staying in Louisville, the NuLu area, so also looking for reccommendations on bar hopping in the evenings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm crrently planning a bourbon trip for August. We've got a day set aside to visit Buffalo Trace and Woodford. Any suggestions on great spots to grab lunch in Frankfort?

We're staying in Louisville, the NuLu area, so also looking for reccommendations on bar hopping in the evenings.

Don't know about food or bars but I was able to visit Makers Mark, Four Rose's, and Jim Beam in one day a few years ago.  Heaven Hill was closed that day but south of Louisville they're all close together. 

Edited by mrflynn03

• 4 weeks later...

Returned from a 20-day family road trip on Sunday (June 5-25).  Will post some odds and ends of the trip over the next few days.  Put 5,511 miles on the rental car during the adventure.

Immediately prior to leaving the Fouls house on the 5th.

image.thumb.jpeg.13158251db19917837225d3906b15d2e.jpeg

Upon returning to the Fouls abode on the 25th.  

image.thumb.jpeg.c54850c83d453cd8d3f8b851b223976a.jpeg

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

It's a Fouls family tradition on road trips to try and see how many different State license plates we see.  Directionally, we went West this time, which is not something we have done in a car as a family before (5, Wife, Son, Daughter).

Rules were as follows:

• You can't count the state you are in, but all other states, provinces, countries, etc. are fair game.
  • You can't count plates on large commercial vehicles that are intended to be far from home base (semi-trucks, moving vans, etc.)
  • The plate has to be affixed to a vehicle.  Plates in souvenir shops and plastered on restaurant walls do not count.
  • However, the vehicle does not actually have to be on highway.  If it is parked at a hotel, attraction, restaurant, etc. that's okay.

In the end, we saw license plates for 46 states and 2 countries other than U.S.

• The states we missed were Alaska, Delaware, Massachusetts (very surprising), and Rhose Island
  • Yes, we saw Hawaii, at a hotel parking lot just south of the Grand Canyon.
  • Interesting story on Wyoming.  During our trip, we trekked many a mile through New Mexico, southern Colorado, Utah, Arizona, southern California, etc. and did not see a single Wyoming plate.  Where do we finally see it?  In Western Kentucky, on the last day of our trip, between the Tennessee state line and Evansville. 
  • The plates from different countries we saw were Canada (Ontario & British Columbia), and.....Argentina (at the Grand Canyon).  The Argentina vehicle was one of those old 1960's-style hippie vans. Looking at it, I wondered how in the world that vehicle held up for that entire trip.  Interestingly enough, despite driving through El Paso during rush hour, we did not see a single Mexico plate.

• Like 4

The unexpected surprises are often the best part of a vacation.  I got TWO on our first day of the trip.  We left home at 6AM with the goal of making it to Oklahoma City that night.  Our planned stops along the way included the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, the Joplin tornado memorial, and the 'Center of the Universe', which is an acoustic phenomenon at a spot in downtown Tulsa.  You can read up on it here (it's real by the way, you experience exactly what it says).  https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma

The surprises, however, were as follows:

• After leaving Joplin, we took some back roads into the southeast corner of Kansas, just so my wife and kids could say they had been in the state (none had ever been to Kansas before).  After crossing the border into Oklahoma, we were still traversing back roads to reconnect with the interstate.  In doing so, I passed a sign indicating that the town of Commerce, Oklahoma was 5 miles ahead.  I racked my brain for a while, trying to think why I had heard of that town, and finally remembered that it was the hometown of Mickey Mantle, who was my dad's favorite ballplayer growing up.  We stopped, of course.  The local ballfield holds Mickey's name, and this statue is out front.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a11078c06ba18a4487c503d3e07793f.jpeg

The second surprise was received when we got to Oklahoma City.  We were staying at a Hampton Inn located in the Bricktown neighborhood of the City.  My son told me that the stadium of the Dodger's AAA affiliate was near our hotel.  Neither one of us realized how 'near' we were.  Here was the view from our room.  Unfortunately, the team was on teh road, so even though we were there 2 nights, we did not get to see a game.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1556629342b289f1f6bb7fdf880d5d1a.jpeg

• Like 3